[nfbmi-talk] FW: News from today

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Wed Apr 29 03:49:17 UTC 2015

From: Karla Hudson [mailto:Hudson.KC at live.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:26 PM
To: 'Fred Wurtzel'
Subject: News from today

The reporter did a good job though my quote was a second class citizen not
third but what's the differents!

DETROIT (WXYZ) - A blind mom and a paralyzed veteran are taking on Detroit
Metro Airport. They say the airport isn't just inconveniencing the disabled
- it is putting them in danger.

The lawsuit that seemed to have been resolved was back in Detroit's Federal
Court Tuesday. The plaintiffs say Detroit Metro Airport isn't living up to
its end of a settlement agreement reached last fall.

One of the plaintiffs is Karla Hudson.

She and her husband are blind, so when they travel with their young children
they don't drive. They, like many of the disabled rely on public
transportation.

Last fall, they say, it got a lot more difficult to fly out of Detroit
Metro.

"I live in a first class country, and am being treated like a third class
citizen," said Karla.

The airport moved its bus stop from right next to the McNamara terminal to
an unheated location more than 600 feet away.

Because a disproportionate amount of disabled customers use public
transportation, plaintiffs say that is like moving the handicap spots to the
back of the parking lot.

"They are violating the Americans with Disabilities Act," said Michael
Harris, another plaintiff

They settled when the airport agreed to make some changes, including a warm
shelter at the new stop where some buses come only every 60-90 minutes.

Attorney Jason Turkish says the warm waiting area never became a reality.

"It was 28 degrees with the heat on this winter," said Turkish. "We're in
court today to hold them accountable."

A spokesperson for the airport said it couldn't comment directly on on-going
litigation.

Brian Lassaline, spokesperson for the Wayne County Airport Authority did
however provide this statement:

The reason the bus stop was moved is for the safety of our customers. The
Ground Transportation Center is much more safe as motor coach passengers do
not need to cross active lanes of traffic, as was increasingly the case in
the previous location. We operate an accessible facility and welcome all
customers. We support public transportation. For example, we waive ground
transportation fees charged to all other ground transportation providers.