[nfbmi-talk] Who We Are and What We Do

Donna Posont donnabutterfly50 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:00:43 UTC 2015

Hello Nadia and List, Yes, it can be unfortunate that an entire group of
individuals are collectively lumped together and labeled as an organization
to which many negative adjectives are applied. You ask, "What are we doing?"
I have some answers that are not negative. In the past year we have
sponsored many young blind people to participate in activities that will
promote positive self images and cause those individuals to be more
confident in their use of braille, canes, dogs, computers, braille notes,
and any number of instruments meant to contribute to independence in blind
people. However, more than that these young blind people have rubbed
shoulders with others who are blind and these role models have lived
successful lives by the standards of this society. During our Summer Science
Spectacular nine blind and visually impaired students gained an
understanding of the natural sciences in a way that led them to believe that
they can have futures in the fields of biology and chemistry and for that
matter any field of study they wish to pursue. Our obstacles are negative
attitudes regarding our abilities and the lack of opportunities to attempt
and achieve. In the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan we are
still striving to provide opportunities for blind people and provide a
positive arena in which to follow our dreams. We are still an organization
made up of humans and we all want to see blind people succeed. In the
National Federation of the Blind of Michigan we sstill believe that
collectively we have mor strength to achieve success and look to the future
with hope and anticipation of the opportunities to come. Thanks for
listening, Donna Posont