[nfbmi-talk] Reflections

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Thu Jan 15 04:39:13 UTC 2015

Hello Larry,

You have probably read Dr. Jernigan's messages about Blindness: Is History
Against us and so on.  These consider the accomplishments of some
individuals.  However the broad range and quantity of blind people who
experience such success has it roots in Braille and the collective
organization of blind people for mutual benefit.  The NFB is the primary
example, though the AAWB was originally an organization of blind people
co-opted by the sighted.

Our  progress comes from our collective action.  History shows that some
individuals will always rise to accomplishment.  History also shows that
until we all worked together that the average blind person didn't have much
of a chance.

Thank you for these comments.

Warmest Regards,

Fred