[nfbmi-talk] Question on ADA at Capitol

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 13:18:46 UTC 2015

With regard to the celebration of the ADA 25th anniversary, I have one
question to ask that will truly focus on the celebration and the ADA, and
the answer should dictate the appropriate response as to any participation
in any ADA CELEBRATION.  What specifically, by example, do We the blind
citizens of Michigan have to CELEBRATE about 25 years of the ADA?

Should the answer be as I surmise, my suggestion is not to participate in an
event that is being organized by the same individuals and entities charged
with carrying out the spirit and word of the law and regulations, and, I
submit,  have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to comply with the law and regulations
to provide the benefits intended in the law and regulations,to We the blind,
and persons with other disAbilities.

Do you know that most public events at Our state capitol are held and
celebrated on the east steps and landing of the capitol.  Do you also know
that the 25th ADA celebration is planned to be held on the lawn of the
capitol surrounding those same steps and landing?  Why is it being planned
for the lawn instead of the steps and landing?  Simply because the steps and
landing are NOT ACCESSIBLE to persons with mobility disabilities, and many
attempts to make the steps and landing accessible to accommodate use of the
steps and landing by persons with mobility disabilities, including and among
other attempts, the idea of a portable ramp and/or chair lift,  have only
met with resistance and total inaction by the persons and entities planning
and sponsoring the so called celebration.  So you can see We the blind are
not alone in there being nothing to celebrate the ADA.

As to Martha's comment,it is not that We the blind have not met with, and
reached out to state officials about the multitude of ADA-related violations
and shortcomings.  We have met with LARA,and  BS4BP, and have written to the
governor, Lt. Governor, Civil Service, State Capitol, and have only gotten
lip-service and empty promises.  It is notable that the lip-service and
empty promises have been on the part of both Republican and Democrat
administrations.  As an example, Patrick Cannon held the title of State ADA
Coordinator, appointed by Democrat governor Granholm, and for 8 years
absolutely none of the ADA violations facing blind persons were addressed or
resolved.  Likewise, und Republican governor Snyder, Edward Rodgers have
done absolutely nothing to address a dirty laundry list of ADA violations
including, but truly not limited to, access to the administrative hearing
system, inaccessibility to the Detroit Cadillac Place BS4BP offices, BS4BP
client application and IPE materials not being provided in accessible
formats; BEP trainees and licensed operators that are not provided materials
in Braille or large-print;  a civil service application process that can no
longer be accessed by We screen readers to apply for state employment;
students that cannot get books and materials in a usable format in a timely
manner or at all; and the MSRC that is charged with involvement and alleged
oversight of the state vocational rehabilitation plan and services, which
only blows off complaints of ADA and Rehabilitation Act violations, and on
and on and on the ADA violations could be listed.  Again, what do We the
blind have to celebrate with regard to the ADA.

Based upon my research, the only avenue that ADA progress has taken place
across the nation, is through the U.S. Department of Justice complaint
process and litigation.  Of course, that requires action, and frankly the
NFB, in my opinion, does not have the active involvement or interest of
leadership to put together the necessary plan and follow through to do that
which needs to be done to address the ADA and Rehabilitation Act violations.
More meetings and receipt of lip-service is not the appropriate solution.

Back to the planned ADA celebration, what is truly needed is the planning of
a massive protest demonstration, to be held concurrent with the alleged
celebration, to bring media and public attention to the fact that We the
blind and persons with other disabilities have NOTHING to celebrate for 25
years of the ADA under both Republican and Democrat state administrations.
To act otherwise as participants in an alleged celebration, in my opinion,
only give a stamp of approval to 25 years of inaction, and a license to
continue such non-compliance and law-breaking.