[nfbmi-talk] emails on regional transportation

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Fri Jun 19 03:24:14 UTC 2015

Hey Mike,

Thanks for this post.  Mary and I went to the airport, yesterday to present
public comment to the airport board regarding the Michigan Flyer resolution.
It would be excellent and important to have the Detroit and Wayne county
chapters present comments in July or August.   The Michigan Flyer issue will
affect plans for regional transportation to the airport for Wayne, Oakland
Macomb and Washtenaw counties since it affects the relationship between
transit and how the airport treats riders.  We can arrange transportation to
the meeting for members who are willing to provide comment.

The airport, presently, only sees the bus and does not see the passenger.
They have no concern for rider's experiences.  One presenter to the board
bragged about how the airport's main concern was ambience.  I asked about
the ambience of sitting in a parking garage in freezing temperatures and
breathing jet and diesel fumes and not being able to hear anything over the
noise of airplanes and busses.  They also said their "halo" feature
(whatever "halo" is) was way-finding.  I discussed lack of braille signs on
elevators, the obscure locations of elevators and how the original bus stop
near international arrivals was very close to everything and the path from
the new stop is amazingly circuitous.  They have no concept.

This effort to get proper treatment for transit riders will build
relationships, such as those you are building, which will be helpful to all
of us statewide when transportation issues arise.

For instance, here in Lansing, we need a tri-county authority to provide
service to Eaton, Clinton and Ingham.  Mark Eagle is leading an effort to
create a meeting of stakeholders or decision-makers to work on this issue.
We can learn from your efforts to help us build a movement, here.  Again,
the decision-makers have no regard for riders, only political lines and
interests.  Our job is to change their perspective and make the rider the
focus and not more petty and provincial matters.

Great work, thanks.

Warmest Regards,

Fred