[nfbmi-talk] State Mourns Death of Blind Vendor of Lansing

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 19:00:21 UTC 2015

Note: Charles Glime was struck and killed by a Jeep driven by a woman as he
walked to his apartment following attending a St. Patrick's Day party.  He
was struck near Walnut and Ionia streets.

State employees mourn blind Lansing man's death LANSING A 31-year-old blind
Lansing resident died Wednesday, but the impact he made at the State of
Michigan's Lewis Cass Building won't be forgotten. Charles Walter Glime
managed three employees at Cass' full-service cafeteria and was called
"Charles of the Cass" because of his drive to give patrons quality food and
service, said Sharon Ellis, the state's Americans with Disabilities Act
compliance director. "Everything he did was great; he was just exemplary,"
Ellis said. "Not just an outstanding example as an employee, but as a person
because he had the attitude 'So what I have a disability? I'm going to
accomplish my goals.' The Lansing Police Department wrote in a press release
Thursday that Glime died early Wednesday afternoon from injuries he suffered
when he was struck by a vehicle while walking in the area of Walnut and
Ionia streets on Tuesday night. Police said the incident took place at
approximately 8:30 p.m. and is under investigation. Ellis said Glime lived
in an apartment near where he was struck. She said he was a driven
entrepreneur who also took business and culinary classes at Lansing
Community College. "People are just devastated," said Ellis, who had known
Glime about four years. "Everybody in the building ate at the cafeteria all
the time because he was open all day and did all he could to make it better
and better.