[nfbmi-talk] Guide Dog Committee Meeting

larry d keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon May 11 00:13:01 UTC 2015

It is my understanding that the NFB of Michigan will be supporting these
bills and that we, as our guide dog committee will have to approve it.
Incidently, we also discussed the steps to becoming a division and told a
few dog stories to illustrate a few points. Well, also some goofy ones. We
only had 3 who attended and I'm calling a few more this week and sending
them the matterials as well. I think we will approve the things though.  The
only contention we currently have and will have to work into the wording a
little further is that of requiring ID's. These Id's may be required by the
new bills but, I think they were strongly suggested. The ADA law doesn'tt
require a service dog to show a dog ID but this bill may. Nagdu, the
national Association of Guide Dog Users isn't in favor of requiring ID's for
our dogs but there has been a lot of debate over this subject. The trend of
having a lot of fake service animals out there is making it more difficult
for us who use a legitimate service animal. I am personally in favor of the
ID's but, I am also concerned that the state and national laws match. No,
I'm not our secretary but I would consider these things our notes. Atteding
were myself, William Vandervest and Deric Moore. We met for an hour and 15
minutes. We should have an answer for the board on Saturday. I might even
come out of the kitchen!