[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Remembering veterans who have lost their sight but not their vision

Georgia Kitchen gkitchen at samobile.net
Thu Nov 12 04:12:04 UTC 2015

Forwarded message:

From: "Chuck Young, President,
to: <gkitchen at samobile.net>
Subject: Remembering veterans who have lost their sight but not their vision
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:48:51 -0500

Remembering Veterans who have lost their sight but not their vision.
Image of American Flag

Dear Student,

Since World War I, Hadley has been proud to assist veterans who are
blind or visually impaired. One of those veterans is Steve Beres, a
Special Operations Officer who participated in numerous combat tours in
the Middle East before retiring in 2004. Last month, at the Annual
Meeting of the Board of Trustees, I was pleased to present Steve with
Hadley’s prestigious President’s Award for his service not only to
our country, but also to Hadley, as an enthusiastic student and
ambassador for our organization.

Steve credits Hadley with helping him manage his vision loss following
his combat experience. He has taken 15 Hadley courses including those
focused on braille literacy, technology and business/employment. Today
he is the Vice President, Service Members and Veterans Affairs Manager
for Regions Financial Corporation, helping fellow veterans address
their financial affairs, including obtaining veterans loans.

Every day, Hadley helps veterans across the country like Steve who are
blind or visually impaired. Last year, nearly 400 veterans were
enrolled at Hadley, and we have had nearly 1,300 veteran enrollments
since the launch of our Blinded Veterans Initiative on this day—four
years ago (11/11/11)—where Steve was the keynote speaker. The
initiative
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=19469033&msgid=798420&act=KWFJ&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FVeterans.asp>
is designed to help veterans with both service-connected and
age-related vision loss achieve their personal and professional goals,
while also supporting their families.

In addition to taking Hadley courses, veterans are currently taking
advantage of an exciting technology initiative from Hadley called
iFocus
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=19469033&msgid=798420&act=KWFJ&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FInstructionalVideos.asp%23iFocus>.
New resources, including webinars and instructional videos, are
improving their lives by providing education on how to use their
iDevices to obtain safe walking directions, read and send text
messages, email family and friends and listen to audio books available
through the National Library Service for the Blind. iFocus helped them
remain connected, productive, and, perhaps mostly importantly,
independent and self-sufficient.

Today I ask you to remember all those who have proudly served our country.

Sincerely,

Chuck Young

Hadley President

P.S. If you would like to make a contribution to Hadley in honor of a
fellow veteran, please call 800-323-4238 or visit www.hadley.edu/donate
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=19469033&msgid=798420&act=KWFJ&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hadley.edu%2Fdonate>.

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=19469033&msgid=798420&act=KWFJ&c=225701&destination=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fthehadleyschool>
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=19469033&msgid=798420&act=KWFJ&c=225701&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fthehadleyschoolfortheblind%2F>The
Hadley School for the Blind

700 Elm Street. Winnetka, IL 60093

This message was sent to gkitchen at samobile.net from:

Chuck Young, President, The Hadley School for the Blind |
mailinglist at hadley.edu | The Hadley School for the Blind | 700 Elm St.
| Winnetka, IL 60093

<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
Unsubscribe