[nfbmi-talk] Bus Stop Announcements

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Fri Nov 13 18:39:19 UTC 2015

Here is a press release signaling the success of Federationists in their
advocacy on public transit.  As each of us ride around it may be useful to
note the absence of announcements and let our providers know.  We ought to
let them know when they are doing well, also.  Lansing is spotty at best.

Metro Transit issued this press release today. Although the FTA audit
contributed to their new policy It was the hard work of Jacob Struiksma and
other Federationists which caused Metro to require that ALL stops be
announced. This is about blind transit riders living the lives we want!

<http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/NewsCenter/NewsReleases.aspx
> cid:image001.jpg at 01CD8537.22EF0E40

Nov. 12, 2015
Contact:  <mailto:jeff.switzer at kingcounty.gov> Jeff Switzer at 206-477-3833

Metro improving ADA announcements to better serve riders with disabilities

Riders are now hearing more comprehensive on-board bus stop announcements on
20 King County Metro Transit bus routes, with more planned in coming months
as the agency ensures that interior and exterior ADA announcements are
consistently made to better serve riders with disabilities.

The improved on-board stop, route and destination announcements benefit all
riders and will meet or exceed Federal Transit Administration requirements
under the Americans with Disabilities Act. An on-site FTA audit in 2014
found that a significant number of stops and routes were not being
announced, but should have been to meet the minimum requirements.

"We fell short in specific areas and we are addressing them systematically
to make sure we comply with federal regulations. We decided to take it a
step further by responding to requests from the blind community to announce
all stops. By doing this, we are facilitating even more independence for
riders with disabilities," said Kevin Desmond, Metro Transit general
manager.

On Nov. 7, Metro completed a first round of increasing interior audio
announcements to 100 percent on 20 routes: Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 15,
21, 40, 48, 50, 71, 101, 166, 215, 221, 242, 271 & the RapidRide D Line.
About every four weeks for the next several months, audio announcements of
all stops will be added to additional routes until all routes are addressed.

"We applaud the implementation of audible stop announcements of all stops,"
said Marci Carpenter, President of the National Federation of the Blind of
Washington. "These announcements give blind/low vision riders access to the
same information provided to sighted riders through the visual display in
the bus and allow us to be as flexible in our travel as anyone else would
be."

Metro's revised announcement policy applies to all fixed routes. In most
cases, announcements will be made by the on-board system. Metro operates 238
routes, 211 of which use equipment that speaks and displays automated stop
announcements to customers. Bus drivers will announce all stops if the
automated system is not functioning, or on buses without an automated
system.

Improved and consistent exterior route and destination announcements also
are planned at all bus stops that are served by two or more bus routes
starting in February 2016. An advisory panel representing a cross section of
riders - including riders who are blind or who have visual or cognitive
challenges - is reviewing Metro's interior and exterior route and
destination announcements to help Metro develop new volume standards.

###

 <http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/Newscenter>
cid:image002.jpg at 01CD8537.22EF0E40