[nfbmi-talk] Ski for Light International Week Coming to Michigan - January 24 through 30, 2016

lpovinelli at aol.com lpovinelli at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 19:40:02 UTC 2015

Subject:  Ski for Light International Week Coming to Michigan

Hello fellow Federationists in Michigan.  In addition to my Federation activities, I am a Board member for a nonprofit called Ski for Light.  If your schedule permits this Winter, I want to make you aware of an event I wish I had participated in when I lived in The Great Lakes State.

Ski for Light holds its International Week at different locations around the country each year, and this Winter it is coming to Michigan.  That means you will have significant savings on airfare compared to years when Ski for Light is held in places like Colorado, Utah or Alaska.  More importantly, it’s a great way to  learn a new skill, improve your fitness and meet other people who have high expectations for the blind to participate in sports and recreation activities.

An announcement similar to the one below will appear in the Monitor Miniatures section of the October issue of the Braille Monitor.  I hope this advance notice will give you more lead time to consider applying well in advance of the November 1 deadline so the host state of Michigan will be well represented.

The 41st annual Ski for Light  International Week will take place in Northwest Lower Michigan on the grounds of Shanty Creek Resorts in Bellaire.  It will take place from Sunday January 24th to Saturday January 30th, 2016.

Located 45 minutes from the Traverse City airport, Shanty Creek Resorts is a 4,500 acre complex.  It contains three housing and entertainment villages, both cross-country and downhill ski trails, a tubing hill, several swimming pools and hot-tubs, a fitness center and spa, and more.

Applications are requested by November 1.  Late applications can only be considered on a space available basis.  More details about the event and the fully accessible online application, which  can be completed on the Ski for Light website, can be foundatwww.sfl.org/event.

If you are a novice and want to learn how to cross country ski, or if you have skied before and just want to be matched with an experienced guide and meet new friends for a wonderful week of fun in the snow, this is the event for you!