[nfbmi-talk] Acknowledging Concern Over Job Description At Perkins School

Christine Boone christineboone2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 05:08:35 UTC 2016

Kane, this is a really good idea.  It is only by taking these first steps that we begin to change the world.  Thank you for being willing to be the igniter of that change!

Warm Regards,
Christine

Boone Christine Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 13, 2016, at 8:27 PM, Kane Brolin via nfbmi-talk <nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016, Terry D. Eagle via nfbmi-talk <
nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> This position says all of the proper equal opportunity lines, says all of
> the look good and feel good phrases about appreciation of embracing
> diversity, valuing abilities, ect., then blows it all off with a statement
> that a hiring preference will be given to one who possesses a driver's
> license.  How disgusting!

Terry, this does sound disgusting, but not surprising.  Just remember
whom Perkins traditionally has been aligned with: AFB/NAC/Helen
Keller, etc.

As it happens, a distant colleague who works in the same financial
services company I do--except based in the Boston area--happens to be
on the board of the Perkins School.  I met him at a conference last
November.  I will address him candidly about this, voice my
displeasure, and ask when they plan to hire blind persons to do
significant jobs in this blind school.  I'll let you know what he
says.

-Kane