[nfbmi-talk] ARTICLE

Martha Moore marthaamoore at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 14:04:17 UTC 2016

Disability Activists Arrested for Protesting Outside WhiteHousePublished April 18,2016By Frank Kineavy
AP PhotoDuring a demonstration on the lawn of theWhite House, 49 protesters from the disability rights group ADAPT were arrestedfor blocking the sidewalk. ADAPT, which was one of the earliest groups tochampion equality for people with disabilities, was calling on the president topromote integrating people with disabilities into the community by haltingprograms that support institutionalizing citizens with disabilities. Protesterschanted, “Our homes, not nursing homes” and “disability rights are humanrights.” The activist group also urged the Obama administration to supportlegislation increasing the integration mandate spelled out in the Americanswith Disabilities Act (ADA).Last week the organization called on itssupporters to join them in their fight to “Free Our People!” On their websitethey captured images of protesters being arrested and police using make-shiftramp to escort protesters off of White House property due to lack of accessibility,something that ADAPT fights for. Latoya Maddox, a member of the civil rightsgroup, expressed her frustration: “I am getting arrested protesting for theDisability Integration Act because everybody deserves to live in the community.I was in a nursing home until I moved out. I have friends that still live inthe nursing home.”Activists met in the nation’s capital on April9 to prepare for a four-day protest. Sunday marked the 11th annual ADAPT FunRun for Civil Rights, an event that has raised money for the organization to“change the system.” Non-violent civil disobedience training, fundraisers andfurther planning also took place.According to U.S. Park Police Sgt. Anna Rose,on Monday the 11th at 12:30 p.m., Park Police Lt. Reed issued a final warningthen proceeded to arrest 49 protesters and issue citations. Those detained werereleased after paying a $50 fine per citation. Later, members of ADAPT blockedentrances at the U.S. Department of Justice, while a smaller group crowdedoutside the home of Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department’s Civil RightsDivision. By 2:00 p.m. the next day, a total of 62 activists were charged withcivil disobedience, pedestrian interference and other charges.In late December 2015, New York Senator ChuckSchumer (D) introduced the Disability Integration Act (DIA), S. 2427, which“prohibit[s] discrimination against individuals with disabilities who needlong-term services and supports, and for other purposes.” The bill will requireannual public reports that include the number of institutionalized individualswith disabilities, as well as the number of citizens with disabilities livingwithin the community. During the ADAPT protests, the DIA was an integralrallying cry. The bill has yet to be addressed by the Obama administration, butWhite House officials claim that the president “remains committed to expandingopportunities for people with disabilities” but declined to comment on anyspecific legislation.“Everyday under the watch of this president,disabled Americans are denied their most fundamental and inalienable rightswhen they are locked away in nursing facilities and other institutions,” saidBruce Darling, an ADAPT organizer. “We are urging the president to defend ourcivil rights instead of looking the other way.”The White House will likely continue to hearfrom ADAPT until they are assured that people with disabilities have acommunity-based alternative to institutionalization, allowing them to lead anindependent life.