[nfbmi-talk] University Of Michigan Developing Fuller, Less Expensive Braille/Graphics Display For Mobile Devices

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Jan 29 21:33:49 UTC 2016

Hi:

Let's hope they come up with something.  The video is generic enough
that there are no real details -- where they are etc.

I have been involved with NFB's R&D Committee for about 25 years and
we have seen many prototypes over the years, mechanical, air driven,
fluid driven etc.  All of them have had one drawback or another,
expense, complexity, very slow refresh rates etc.  However, there are
a number of people working on a number of approaches, and at some
point, technology will improve enough that one of these new methods
will work. Then we will have either full-page displays, or less
expensive displays, or both.  I hope you guys can work with these
folks, these projects always need good blind input, and the lack of
such is why many of them fail. They don't see their own fatal flaws.

Dave

E-Mail:  dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org