[nfbmi-talk] Phone Board meetingMay 5.docx

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Sat May 21 01:44:24 UTC 2016

Phone Board meeting May 5, 2016

There was a Quorum

No Treasurer or Secretary report.

Fred reported there was 1 eventJudge ruled the bus stop is for everyone and
sign says stop is just for persons with disabilities.  MMakes stop
effectively segregated.   A couple tried to use stop and airport officials
refused to allow couple to use stop even though couple had disabilities
including heart bypass, stroke and blindness.  Both have handicapped parking
stickers.  Also, SMART busses are not using the stop.  Mary and Fred rode
the SMART bus into the airport and the driver was unaware of accessible
stops.

Fred said we should attend May WCAA meeting.

Larry reported about Newsline in the UP.  He reported he had a lead to be on
Marquette TV channel 6.

Larry reported that we received the Blue Cross grant to pay for a grant
writer to write 35 health related grant applications.  Want to consider a
grant to assist Flint blind people getting information about lead crisis.
Larry wants members to suggest projects which we may possibly get grant
funding for.

Fred brought up Derek's idea of starting a school.  Fred suggested that we
could begin by offering classes to build training capacity which could be
developed into a school.

Derek commented we could start small and build it into something we want.

There was discussion of a request from the Secretary of State's office to
test 3 accessible voting machines on May 20.  Everyone is encouraged to
attend.

There was discussion of the MAER  conference.  There was discussion with the
Department of Ed folks about why with 2000 blind children all the programs
serving middle and high school students are fighting to serve the same
50-100 youth.  It is hoped that this can be the discussion at the annual
parents weekend at Camp T in June.

There is much hope in our newly reorganized Parents Division to help attract
youth.

There was discussion that there would be overnight activities for youth
participating in Celebrate Urban Birds in Ann Arbor May 14th.

There was discussion that we will have a table at Visions 2016 in Ann Arbor
May 11th.

There was discussion of the Library Consumer Involvement Council.  The
Taylor library will take over the duties of the former Wayne County Regional
Library.  It will still be a sub-regional library but will provide more
localized services.  There is still a small percentage of patrons who use
the BARD download service to get their books.  Most people get books via
mail.

Mike reported that he has been contacted by a company called Democracy Live
to help inform election officials of their accessible sample ballot product.

Meeting adjourned approximately 9:15.