[nfbmi-talk] Director of Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

Michael Powell mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 18:11:17 UTC 2016

William Robinson Named New Director of the Bureau of Services for
BlindPersons

Media Contact: LARA Communications 517-373-9280
Email:  <mailto:mediainfo at michigan.gov> mediainfo at michigan.gov

September 8, 2016 - Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
Director Shelly Edgerton today named William Robinson, a nationally
recognized leader in services for the blind, as the new director of the
Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP). Robinson's appointment follows
a thorough national search process. He replaces retiring BSBP Director
Edward Rodgers.

"Bill's passion and record of instituting a culture of continuous quality
improvement, customer focus, and streamlining processes within national
organizations makes him uniquely qualified to lead our bureau dedicated to
serving Michigan's blind citizens," said Edgerton. "These are the core
values of LARA and we are thrilled to have him join our team."

As director of BSBP, Robinson will be responsible for the state agency that
provides vocational rehabilitation, independent living and employment
training services available to Michigan's 200,000 blind and visually
impaired citizens. He will oversee operations of BSBP's Training Center in
Kalamazoo, the Braille and Talking Book Library in Lansing, and seven
offices located throughout the state that administer a wide range of
services including BSBP's Business Enterprise Program, services for youth
and seniors, and deaf blind services.

"I am very pleased and honored to serve the blind and visually impaired in
the state of Michigan," said Robinson. "Loss of visual acuity or blindness
should never result in a lesser quality of life or opportunity for those
willing to embrace their strengths and pursue their goals."

Robinson, a certified public accountant (CPA), most recently served as
president/CEO of the National Accreditation Council for Blind and Low Vision
Services since 2012. Prior to becoming visually impaired as a result of a
hunting accident in 2001, Robinson was the chief financial officer of
National Linen Service, a division of National Service Industries. Robinson
received vision rehabilitation services from the Center for the Visually
Impaired in Atlanta, GA. He holds a BS in business administration, with a
major in accounting from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"On behalf of the commission, I want to warmly welcome incoming BSBP
Director Bill Robinson to Michigan," said Commission for Blind Persons Chair
Lylas G. Mogk, M.D. "The commissioners look forward to his insightful and
inspirational leadership, and to collaborating with him and BSBP in their
important work of promoting the best interests of, and providing optimal
services to, Michigan residents who are blind or visually impaired."

Robinson replaces Edward Rodgers, a former LARA administrative law judge,
who has served as BSBP director since 2012.

"I want to commend Ed for an exemplary career and thank him for his
dedication and professionalism serving the citizens of Michigan," said
Edgerton. "His expertise and experience will be greatly missed. I wish Ed
all the best for a long and happy retirement."

Robinson will assume his duties on September 26, 2016.