[nfbmi-talk] ] Director of Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

Christine Boone christineboone2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 16:37:29 UTC 2016

Greetings Fellow Federationists and other subscribers:

I learned several days ago of the appointment of William Robinson as director of the Bureau of Services to Blind Persons.  I immediately wrote the following post, but initially thought not to contribute it to this list serve. After several days of pondering however, I have changed my mind.  I believe you all need to know about the history that this appointment brings to Michigan, a history that is indeed dark and troubled.
It is honestly difficult to imagine the
thought process that led LARA to select someone with absolutely not one day
of experience in the public vocational rehabilitation program, or the
Randolph Sheppard Program as the director of Michigan's designated state
unit for vocational rehabilitation services for the blind and the state licensing agency for the  Randolph Sheppard Program.  That a  CPA, and past president of NAC would be chosen
above a number of the highly qualified candidates who placed their hats in
the ring, truly demonstrates a staggering lack of understanding of the
purpose of vocational rehabilitation on the part of LARA.  Add to the mix
that the VR program is now combining with the Department of Labor's
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity programs, and the result is not
promising for blind Michiganders.  I am so sorry.  And lest anyone think
that I am speaking out of my own disappointment as an unsuccessful candidate
for the job, I did not apply for this one.  I have returned to the practice
of law on a permanent basis.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the National accreditation
Council for Blind and Visually Impaired Services, you should know that it
was begun in the late 1960's as a means of giving a stamp of approval to
sheltered workshops, schools for the Blind and rehabilitation agencies.  As
time passed, most of the schools and rehabilitation agencies that initially
sought NAC's accreditation cancelled their contracts because the
organization had become sinonymous with poor quality services at
rehabilitation agencies,  child neglect at schools for the blind, and
payment of subminimum wages at sheltered employment settings.

For the past 2 decades it looked like NAC might finally breathe its last but
sadly this has not yet happened.  As membership dwindled to almost nothing,
the organization's Board had to adopt a new strategy to gain members.  Now
those who are on the nAC Board seek directorships or upper management
positions in public rehabilitation agencies around the Nation and somehow
get themselves chosen.  When they take up their duties, it is not long
before the agencies under their leadership become accredited by the National
accreditation Council.  The state of Pennsylvania has 35 small "Associations
for the Blind" that are all joined under a state-wide umbrella.  The
Pennsylvania Association for the Blind got a new director about 4 years ago
now, who happened to be a member of the NAC Board.  Within 2 years, most of
the little Associations for the Blind carried NAC accreditation.  It is
quite costly, and the benefits are difficult to define.

Where is the experience working to level the playing field for blind
professionals trying to enter the work force?  Where is the experience in
providing library services to blind and vision impaired persons, what about
building strong programs for instruction in access technology? What about
the importance of blindness skills training preparatory to entering the
halls of higher education or stepping into the workforce?

I am troubled and I wish you all the best.

Christine

Boone Christine Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 19, 2016, at 12:11 PM, Michael Powell via NFBMI-Talk