[nfbmi-talk] Save The Date: Tuesday, July 11: Job Fair At 2017 National Convention Of The National Federation Of The Blind

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 17:05:56 UTC 2017

Greetings.  Are you looking to gain or upgrade your job?  Want to
network with people who work in a field you're in or a field you are
exploring?  Have you experienced difficulty with finding, keeping, or
upgrading a job or in growing your small business and suspect that
difficulty is related somehow to visual impairment?  Thinking of
changing careers? Know anyone else who is doing one of these things?

Alternatively, are you an employer wanting to find out more about
opportunities to hire someone who is blind and ways you can
productively integrate a blind employee into the culture of your
organization?  Want help preparing your teenage or young adult son or
daughter living with a visual impairment into the workforce with
minimal pain or maximum impact?

Consider coming to the Job Fair that will be held as part of the NFB's
National Convention at the Rosen Shingle Creek resort in Orlando,
Florida: 9:30 to 11:30 AM on Tuesday, July 11, 2017.  The exact date
and time for the Job Fair just has been established, and we are
aggressively trying both to widen the field and to deepen the impact
of this event in 2017.

I am sending this out to a lot of different individuals, as well as to
four different e-mail lists, because I know that a lot of blind and
visually impaired persons will benefit regardless of affiliation--and
even if you've chosen at this time not to be affiliated with the
organized blind movement.  Forward this communication to others as you
feel appropriate.

It is not necessary that you completely buy into or promote the
policies and programs of the National Federation of the Blind to take
part in this job fair, either as a potential employer or as a
potential hire.  Some institutions who are recruiting for
employees--the Perkins School for the Blind in Massachusetts, for
example--clearly are not subsets of the Federation.  What this is
about is raising awareness of the reality that pesons who are blind
qualify for and excel in all kinds of jobs, participating in all areas
of commerce and occupying different rungs on the socio-economic ladder
in the United States.

In conjunction with this Job Fair, we plan to hold a Job-seekers'
Seminar sometime on Monday afternoon the 10th, prior to the Job Fair
itself.  Want to sharpen your networking or interviewing skill?  Want
to exchange best practices?  Want to sharpen your focus in advance of
selling yourself to actual employers who could hire you?  The
Job-Seeker Seminar will be the place to do these things.

Want to know more?  Visit the start page for the NFB Employment
Committee for updates on our various initiatives and to subscribe to
our Jobs For The Blind Mailing List.  Many subscribers to this list
are not blind--including some that are posting jobs.  So that mailing
list is not a place for internal debate with respect to blindness
philosophy or blindness organizations or different methods of
orientation or rehabilitation; it is a place where people go to find
qualified employees or to find gainful work.
http://employment.nfb.org/

If you want to reach me directly and off-list for any reason, please
write to kbrolin65 at gmail.com or phone my mobile.

Warm regards,

Kane Brolin
Member, Employment Committee