[nfbmi-talk] Mother Brooks

JohnC. Scott jcscot at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 13 00:08:58 UTC 2017

Dear Federationis,

Pasted below is the obituary of Vera Kemp Brooks.  We at the Detroit Chapter
considered her the mother of our chapter.  She was particularly near and
deaar to my heart, because she during my first presidency would make certain
I  executed on any promises I made to the chapter in a timely fashion.  If
need be I would get a verbal spanking if I took too long (smiles, and after
the passing of my mother in 2013, I adoptede her as my surogate mother.  I
only wish I had more time to be a better son.  In these last years of her
life, I found joy in the fact that we had good talks on  the phone, and when
I visited her.  She always knew me, enjoyed hearing news about the chapter,
and enjoyed talking with chapter members when I called them on the phone.
She shall be dearly missed.

Federationally Yours,

John

MRS. VERA KEMP BROOKS

THE LADY & HER JOURNEY

NONAGENARIAN - Vera Kemp was born May 17, 1924, in Span, Georgia to the late
Clemie and Reda Mae Brumfield Kemp. She was the oldest of five siblings.
Three siblings William 'Bill' Kemp, Donetta Hopkins and Robert 'Bob' Kemp
preceded her in death.

Vera and her parents moved to Detroit in 1925. They were able to settle in
one of Detroit's thriving Black Communities on the Northeast side, Conant
Gardens where four more children were born and raised. Klinger Street
between Robinwood and Hildale was known as 'Kempville' then, because there
were so many Kemps in that block! Vera remained in Conant Gardens for 92
years and raised her family there.

She began her education in the Detroit Public School System at Atkinson
Elementary, going on to Cleveland Intermediate, graduating from Pershing
High School. Everyone in the family was musically inclined, however, Vera
took her talent to the next level, teaching at the Conant Gardens Music
School on Binder and later at the Community Music School on John R., with
the late Sis. Gladys Wade Dillard. The late Jazz musician Tommie Flannigan
was one of her students. In 1953, she began working for the Internal Revenue
Service as a statistician, retiring early in 1971 after eighteen years of
service due to Glaucoma.

Since her vision was diminishing she received Independent living skills from
the Commission for the Blind and lived independently for almost 45 years.
She volunteered with the Detroit Chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind, the Center for Independent Living and was the founder of the Silver
Links support group for the Blind and visually impaired, introducing
worthwhile and free services to the blind community. She loved crafts,
making rugs and ceramic pottery and attending family reunions. She was known
for her humor, love for people, traveling, going out to eat, ice cream and
her infectious laugh! Her last trip was to Dublin, Georgia for the Buckeye
Family Reunion 2016, which she never missed.

Vera was raised at Vernon Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in
Conant Gardens, where she demonstrated her love for God being one of their
pianists. She later was baptized in "Jesus Name" on May 29, 2013, at Clinton
Street Greater Bethlehem Temple Church under the leadership of Bishop
Shedrick Lee Clark, Sr.

On July 31, 1948, Vera Kemp was united in holy matrimony to the late John
Leonard Brooks, Jr., to this union two children were born. Her son John Kent
preceded her in death. She also had two stepdaughters to precede her in
death, Lenora Brooks-Keys and Zorina Brooks-Barnett. She was later married
to the late Leroy Mitchell, Jr. They enjoyed traveling back and forth to
Ghana, West Africa for several years.

After a rich, rewarding and fulfilling life, Vera quietly departed this life
on Sunday evening July 23, 2017, at the Cranbrook Geriatric Center.

Celebrating her life; her daughter Leslie K. Brooks, daughter in-law,
Darlene Brooks; one grandson Marcus (Cicely) Brooks of Jacksonville,
Florida; two granddaughters, Dmara Brooks of Detroit and Yolanda Brooks of
Bolingbrook, Illinois; five great-grandchildren, Donnie, Miles, Layla, Mason
and Aliana; one sister Jenine Kemp; one sister in-law Carolyn Kemp; several
nieces, nephews, cousins and a host of other realatives, saints and friends;
and especially her life long friend Gertrude Allison of Phoenix, Arizona.

Special thank you to Mrs. Monique Tate and staff at Zareya's Home Care of
Eastpointe, Michigan where Vera resided for the past year and the staff at
Lakeshore Health Care, Cranbrook Campus Detroit.

Jesus is coming soon! Please be ready.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential
information and are intended only for the addressee (s).  If you are not the
intended recipient, any use of, disclosure, copying, etc. of this email is
prohibited.  Please reply to the sender if this message and any accompanying
attachments have been sent in error and immediately delete the foregoing.