[nfbmi-talk] workers needed to work the Independence Market at national convention.

Michael Powell mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 17:01:38 UTC 2017

This is a call to all those who are attending national convention.

I received a phone call from Patricia Maurer from our national office.  The
independence market is looking for workers.   Some of our members have
worked it in the past and Ms. Maurer wanted to know if she could count on
their help again this year?  I offered to put the word out on our list serve
to recruit workers and I signed up to work a shift as well.  Some years ago
I worked the market and I found it to be a fun experience.  I was put with
people from other states helping to demonstrate products and assist shoppers
at different times during my shift.  One of them turned out to be an
instructor at the Louisiana Center for the Blind who I had the chance to
work with again when I became a student there three years later.   You need
not have any extensive experience with a particular item since learning the
products and demonstrating them with others is half the fun.  It is
definitely a good way to meet people and really get to know them as
colleagues by working alongside them to show products used by blind people.
Here is part of the letter I received confirming my schedule to work it
Tuesday, July 11, 12:45 to 5: PM.

"being able to shop at the Independence Market is one of the highpoints of
the convention for many attendees-especially for the hundreds of members who
never have the opportunity to come to the Market in Baltimore and browse
through the many items we carry. The task of recreating the Market for a few
days each year at the convention is a huge one, and it takes many generous
Federationists to perform this service for their fellow members.  The
traditional kickoff meeting for all workers will take place at 8:00 a.m. on
Tuesday, July 11, in the exhibit hall in Sebastian Ballroom L. You should
plan to be there even if you don't have a shift that morning, because it's a
time for us to deal with general organizing details. Besides this, the
kickoff meeting is just plain fun and a time for us to take a moment to
celebrate together the beginning of all that we are going to do during the
week to make the convention the life-changing experience and time of renewal
that it always is for all of us."

You don't necessarily have to work the kind of shift I was assigned.  Any
time you can offer will be appreciated and the staff can work with you about
scheduling.  So I urge all of you to enhance your national convention
experience this year by signing up to work the market.  You won't regret it.
You can

sign up by sending an email to Patricia Maurer at:

pmaurer at nfb.org  <mailto:pmaurer at nfb.org%20>

Be sure to send along your contact information so she can either call or
email you as needed.  If you can,  please copy me in on any emails so I have
an idea of the list that is developing.

According to the agenda, "The Exhibit Hall and the NFB Independence Market
are located in Sebastian Ballrooms K and L, Level 1.  Independence Market
hours of operation are:

Tuesday                               9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Wednesday        8:30 AM to 5:00 PM

Thursday                             Noon to 1:45 PM

Friday                   Noon to 1:45 PM (final opportunity to visit the
Market)

Thank you all for your help  if you can give of some of your time.  Let's do
what we can to show that Michigan is well represented at the greatest
gathering of blind people in the world.

Michael Powell

President

(586)754-1325