[nfbmi-talk] AddThis Expanded MenuPara Transit

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Sun Oct 22 15:30:27 UTC 2017

Hello,

Here is a link to a story forwarded to me from Donna Rose who is a blind board member of Lansing’s Capital Area Transportation Authority.  This is a piece from “This American Life” a program from National Public Radio.  It is a narrative from a rider of New York Para Transit.  Most anyone who has used SPECTRAN in Lansing or para transit in another area will identify with a lot of what this rider describes.  I sure hope that no one has been subjected to what this rider experienced on 1 of her trips.

I apologize for sending a link, but it is a recording, not a text article.I hope you can simply press enter on the link and get to the control to play it..  It is worth the effort.  I am happy that someone has gotten a nationwide platform to create more awareness of the problems with para transit.

Back in the ‘70’s Mary and I lived in Ann Arbor.  At that time para transit was available to everyone and it was much better.  Passengers could call for a ride the same day and could predictably get to the destination on time.  I do not believe we will ever have good transportation unlessit is for everyone.  Separate but equal never works.
Traverse City and Munising have para transit for everyone.  In Munising, riders can get a ride within an hour of a call, most of the time.  So, this is not a pipe dream.  It really works.
https://s7.addthis.com/static/standaloneExpandedMenu.html

Fred Wurtzel
Blind Scientists Live the Lives We Want