[nFBMI-Talk] The Blind In Education, Employment, & Technology: Thanks To All For Taking Part!

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 00:22:30 UTC 2018

The 3rd Annual BEET Conference, co-sponsored by the NFB of Michiana
and by Goshen College, was a rousing success.  Thanks to the several
of you who participated in this event for the very first time this
past Friday, April 13, I am convinced we will see lives changed for
the better.

For those not familiar with the Federation, we are much more than just
a conference, and our reach is much more broad than the border region
of Indiana and Michigan.  If you live anywhere in Indiana, you can
draw from plenty of resources and take advantage of donation
opportunities, highlighted on our state affiliate's Webpage:
http://www.nfb-in.org/.  Michigan Federation resources are found at
https://nfb.org/resources-michigan.

Are you looking to qualify for a job or to turn higher aspirations
into reality?  If you were following our BEET Conference, then this is
something you're probably interested in, for your own sake or for the
sake of a loved one.  Want to figure out what kind of job is right for
you and how to qualify for it?  How about tips to make that résumé
you're writing stand out and to make you a star of the job interview?
The NFB Employment Committee has created a variety of ways for you to
gain information and skills and to take advantage of person-to-person
networking opportunities, especially while you're at National
Convention.  The Employment Committee hosts an ever-expanding array of
events at Convention, including a Job-Seeker Seminar, an Etiquette
Dinner, an Upward Mobility presentation, and (last but not least) a
Career Fair during which you can rub shoulders with real
employers--maybe even with your next boss.  Want a preview of these
activities or a review of what happened at last year's National
Convention, from an employment preparation standpoint?  Get this info
online, whenever you want it.  Simply visit
http://employment.nfb.org/.

The NFB National Convention is the highlight of the Federation's
fiscal year: a great time to hook, up with old friends, to meet new
friends, and to reinvigorate our spirit as we remind one another that
it's respectable to be blind and that each of us has the right and the
power to live the life you want.  Those of us who have attended for a
while, cannot stand to miss it.  Please do consider attending from
July 3-8, 2018, at the Rosen Shingle Creek resort in Orlando, Florida.
Among many other things, the Employment Committee this year is putting
together opportunities for youth as young as 14 years old to actively
explore career opportunities--even to participate in our Career Fair
on Saturday evening, July 7.  Stay tuned for more information on this
Pre-Employment Transition Services initiative as it takes shape.
Meanwhile, for general info about this year's Convention, and for
registering online--(you get a discount for doing this)--please visit
https://nfb.org/convention.

Finally, if you live in the region where the BEET Conference was held
this past Friday, we want to reassure you that the Michiana Chapter in
the National Federation of the Blind is a great place to turn for
information or resources about all things related to blindness, all
year round.  We particularly encourage you to follow our Facebook
page.  https://www.facebook.com/NFB-of-Michiana-412752602094987/.
Like NFB Michiana on Facebook, follow @nfbofmichiana on Twitter, and
write to nfbofmichiana at gmail.com with customized questions and
comments.

We thank you for your support and encouragement, in whatever form that takes.

Respectfully,

Kane Brolin
President, Michiana Chapter
Member, Employment Committee