[nFBMI-Talk] article referenced in presidential release

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 12:32:42 UTC 2018

Evelyn's summary is very accurate.

As a teenage NFBer I attended "NAC Tracking" rallies to with the goal of
doing away with NAC once and for all times, however as Evelyn points out it
did not kill NAC, and only remained dormant.  Unfortunately, here in
Michigan, the attitude and philosophy of several within NFB of "go along to
get along", when Governor Snyder reformed the Commission for the Blind,
reducing it to a bureau and silencing the blind community only added to the
resurgence of NAC.

History has a way of repeating itself, as demonstrated by reversal of civil
rights gains achieved during the 1950s through the 1990s, for the blind and
other disadvantaged groups of citizens.  These reversals have taken place in
the courts, board rooms, and executive offices of government, and unless and
until citizens of disadvantaged groups understand that as times change, the
previous advances and gains also needs change to adapt to the changing
societal environment, as the fight for a voice and equality never ends, and
unless and until disadvantaged citizens and organizations that advocate for
them are willing to take whatever action is necessary to preserve and adapt
gainsd made in the past, whether in the streets, such as was done with NAC
tracking, in the legistures, or in the administrative hearing rooms and the
courts, action must be taken.  The silent voice is the one that loses.
Those in power only desire to hold on to their power over the disadvantaged,
and go along to get along only reinforces their goals and objectives to keep
the disadvantaged citizen their silenced, ruled and manipulated subjects
rather than equals in society!