[nFBMI-Talk] [nfb-indiana] In Light Of New Discussion Over NAC 2018

christine Boone christineboone2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 20:04:14 UTC 2018

Kane,
Thank you for publishing the thoughts of Sarah and Diane here. I can see where they are coming from at first glance, particularly if they are new to organizations of blind people. Your response to their comments is spot on my friend. A careful reading of Mark Riccobono's article in the Braille Monitor tells us that then NFB president Dr. Kenneth Jernigan did indeed endeavor to work with the people who came together to start NAC. And he did not do so just for a moment. Dr. Jernigan remained a member of Comstock for about 8 years if I remember correctly. During that time he came to the table respectfully; commenting with professionalism and insight about issues relating to blindness, rehabilitation and education. For those who might not be aware of Kenneth Jernigan's own credentials, he had taught at 2 state schools for the blind, California and Tennessee, and was serving as director of the Iowa Commission for the Blind during his time on the Comstock Board. He was extremely well-versed in issues relating to working with blind and visually impaired people of all ages. In fact, he was applauded by his fellow professional agency directors at the time who stated publicly that he brought vocational rehabilitation services for blind Iowans from being the worst in the Nation to the pinnacle of success.

In spite of his credentials, his willingness to work with NAC's founders and his tremendous gift of working, negotiating and playing well with others, nothing Dr. Jernigan said was even acknowledged by NAC. That agency went on to accredit schools where blind children suffered from sexual and physical abuse,. The abuse was so egregious in one instance I recall, that a young girl actually died. And yet NAC took no action against these institutions but continued to accredit them as though they were ideal places for parents to send their young children to receive good care and a fine education. NAC went on to accredit vocational rehabilitation agencies that literally placed more than 80 percent of their supposedly successful blind clients in sheltered employment where they earned as little as one quarter of the federal minimum wage. Once again, NAC did not object to these outcomes but continued to accredit these agencies as models.

I am confident that President Riccobono would take a different approach if the officials within AER (the Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired) had reached out to the NFB in July or August of 2016, when they first decided to revive NAC. He would have taken a different approach if he had received any indication that the idea was to build a newer, better accrediting body and to shed the white-washed rubber stamp accreditation continuously applied by the original NAC. These things did not happen. Furthermore, when President Riccobono asked about plans to improve the accreditation that would be offered, his question was pushed aside and never given the dignity of an answer.

This behavior certainly does not bode well for the future of this resuscitated body. We already have two organizations offering accreditation to rehabilitation organizations and training centers. One is CARF- (Council for the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) and the other is the NBPCB (the National Blindness Professionals Certification Board). Additionally, North-Central and other bodies now accredit schools for the blind and seem to do so in a manner that is professional and above-board.

I am glad for the conversation, and I would encourage those who are new to our organization and/or unfamiliar with the history of the National Accreditation Council for Agencies Serving the Blind and Visually Handicapped, to re-read the article that appeared in the January Braille Monitor and to spend a little time conducting their own research on the history of this rather infamous organization.

Christine