[nFBMI-Talk] Civil rights, Poetry and Romance

christine Boone christineboone2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:41:02 UTC 2018

What a grand song and what a wonderful story about your first glimpse of the
lovely and talented Miss Mary Iscaro! Thank you for sharing this most
fitting song with us on the splendid day on which we celebrate the loving
power and masterful leadership of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.!

Federation hugs to all,

Christine

Creation"
> by James Weldon Johnson.  Totally unknown to mary (I am 4 years younger
> than Mary), I was in the audience in the Lions hall Auditorium where she
did
> a dress rehearsal of her recitation.  I was young and not much acquainted
> with poetry or dramatic reading.  Mary truly blew me out of my seat with
her
> recitation.  She never knew of how moving this was to me until we were
> married some 13 or so years later.  Johnson is a pretty amazing writer and
> has had an impact on my life, even if in a kind of crazy romantic way.
Poetry
> and civil rights are like that.
>

> Warmest Regards,
>

> Fred
>

> Lift Every Voice and Sing
>

> James Weldon Johnson
>
> ,
>
> 1871
>
> -
>
> 1938
>

> Lift every voice and sing, Till earth and heaven ring, Ring with the
harmonies
> of Liberty; Let our rejoicing rise High as the list'ning skies, Let it
resound loud
> as the rolling sea. Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has
taught us,
> Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us; Facing the
rising
> sun of our new day begun, Let us march on till victory is won. Stony the
road
> we trod, Bitter the chast'ning rod, Felt in the days when hope unborn had
> died; Yet with a steady beat, Have not our weary feet Come to the place
for
> which our fathers sighed? We have come over a way that with tears has been
> watered. We have come, treading our path through the blood of the
> slaughtered, Out from the gloomy past, Till now we stand at last Where the
> white gleam of our bright star is cast. God of our weary years, God of our
> silent tears, Thou who hast brought us thus far on the way; Thou who hast
> by Thy might, Led us into the light, Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest