[nFBMI-Talk] Event Featuring Dr. William Joseph Barber II: "From Slavery To Freedom" in East Lansing, Michigan

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 22:08:23 UTC 2018

Hello.

What I am presenting here might not be everyone's cup of tea.  But
since today has been Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, it might be
inspiring for us during these troubled times to know that there is a
dynamic, growing revival of Dr. King's Poor People's Campaign that has
been revamped for 2018.  This is an attempt by Dr. King and others who
now honor his legacy, to bring together persons of all ethnicities and
religious faiths into a movement that fights for the rights of all
ordinary citizens and that works to craft policies benefricial to the
99% of us who are quickly becoming disempowered from the political and
judicial process by both mainstream political parties.

The two principal leaders of this new Campaign are Rev. Dr. William J
Barber II, who is African-American, and Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, who
is White.  Rev. Barber, who leads an org known as Repairers of the Breach, is
lecturing at East Lansing, Michigan, on Thursday, February 22 from
5:00 to 6:30 PM Eastern Time.  The location is:

Wharton Center for Performing Arts
750 Shaw Lane
East Lansing, MI  48824

This event is part of the Dr. William G. Anderson Lecture Series and
is sponsored by the College of Osteopathic Medicine at Michigan State
University.

I am not connected at this time with Repairers of the Breach or with
Mr. Wilson-Hartgrove's main project the Conversion School.  I found
out about this only on Facebook.  But it's intriguing to me, because
even though I like what these organizations seem to stand for, I have
neither heard nor read anything about bringing persons with
disabilities into the discussion.  Wouldn't it be awesome if a bunch
of people carrying white canes, accompanied by service dogs, or using
wheelchairs, etc., were to descend on Wharton Center and join in the
fellowship of this lecture?
It would be a great way for us to express solidarity with other
marginalized groups, to give Dr. Barber a visual that sends an
unmistakable message about our importance and our numbers, and perhaps
also to make one or two lasting
friendships or alliances.  Just a thought.  To share this event or to
express interest in going. please visit
https://www.facebook.com/events/166785920596164/.

Hope everyone is celebrating a great day of service and shared
community on this MLK Day.

Kind regards,

Kane Brolin, President
Michiana Chapter, National Federation of the Blind