[nFBMI-Talk] Death on foot: Detroit leads large cities in pedestrian deaths

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon Jul 2 14:24:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

Here is a second excellent article by Eric Lawrence from the Free Press.  I am totally impressed with the depth of both of these articles.

I really like the fact that he subtly debunks the implication that pedestrians are responsible for these collisions.  He repeatedly notes the involvement of alcohol or drugs as not playing a role in the collisions.  The statistics clearly show a relationship between darkness and collisions.

I really like the fact that he focuses on the built environment and how improvements to crosswalks and other features can make a difference.  He cites 2 sisters withvery small children who make risky crossings due to a lack of convenient crosswalks.

He does not mention the rate of legal penalties for these collisions.  The high number of hit and runs is truly troubling.  Surely more enforcement of pedestrian right of way laws like crosswalks would be helpful.  More training of drivers may also help.

All in all, I greatly appreciate the great reporting on this important issue.

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Death on foot: Detroit leads large cities in pedestrian deaths

https://on.freep.com/2yYBZ7q

Warmest Regards,

Fred Wurtzel
Blind Scientists Live the Lives We Want