[nFBMI-Talk] March Maples

Donna donnabutterfly50 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:25:04 UTC 2018

March Maples

Though March seems to be coming in like a lion there is still sweet stuff
ahead. Next Saturday, March 10, 2018 we will be meeting at the Environmental
Interpretive Center on the University of Michigan Dearborn campus. At 10a m
we will be heading into the woods to explore the "Bark, Buds, and Branches"
of the magnificent Maples. Once we learn to distinguish the species as
people who are blind we can reward ourselves at the sap stove with the
sounds, smells, and taste of maple sap that is cooking down into syrup. We
will enjoy lunch together afterwrd and then learn the difference between
natural sugars such as syrup and processed sugar. Of course if there is
still time before 3p m we will venture back into the woods to seek signs of
spring. Please consider joining us.

If that is not enough, the Family Nature club will be meeting the next
weekend at Camp Tuhsmeheta to find more maples. This time we will experiment
with making pancakes and topping them with the real syrup. This weekend will
be filled with animal tracking, birding, hiking, talking turkey,learning
about the American crow. The ever popular Spring Science Jeopardy will not
be disappointing on Saturday night.To join us please register at the MDELIO
website or for more information on either event please call Donna Posont at
313-220-8140.