[nFBMI-Talk] Kalamazoo Chapter Efforts

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Thu Jan 10 22:36:19 UTC 2019

Hey There, Hi There, Ho There

I hope that the new year is turning into everything that you expected and that you continue to push for those expectation to become a reality. Speaking of making aspiration a reality, it seems that we are at the precipice of that occurring for our affiliate this year. During the autumn months of 2018, a group of Michigan affiliate members that lived in the Kalamazoo area aspired to create a community resource for the multitude of blind people in Kalamazoo and Portage. This aspiration, with the help of proactivity and dedication, culminated in a successful interest meeting that is destined to manifest itself as the newly reformed Kalamazoo chapter. This meeting, held at the Disability Network of Southwest Michigan, included members, old and new, that were interested in revolutionizing the community in different advocacy efforts, service projects, and possible fundraising pursuits. Currently, we invite our affiliate brothers and sisters to help us make this gust a whirlwind.

What Can You Do ?

  1.  Join the Kalamazoo chapter list serve. By going to www.nfbnet.org<http://www.nfbnet.org>, you can search the options to subscribe to the official Kalamazoo chapter list serve. The address is nfb-kzoo at nfbnet.org<mailto:nfb-kzoo at nfbnet.org>. and we would appreciate if more people joined the list, even if you are not in the Kalamazoo area.
  2.  Follow us on Facebook. We have a thriving Facebook page that is moving quickly. Simply search for NFB of Kalamazoo and like our page and follow it. In the past 24 hours, the page has gone from 28 likes to over 100, with our national President mark Riccobono, being one of the standout supporters of the effort. Please help us get the Kalamazoo group back in the conversation of local efforts and resources for potential members.
If you have any questions about the budding Kalamazoo chapter 2.0, feel free to email or give me a call. I am happy to assist in connecting with potential members and providing additional help when needed. Our commencement meeting will be on Monday, February 11, 2019 at 7pm. The location will be at Hunan Gardens,  5059 W. Main St. Kalamazoo, MI 49009. We hope to connect with people on this date and in the future.

Blessings
Robert E. Parsons Jr.
Board Member, Michigan Association of Blind Students
Phone: 804 801 7674
"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglas