[NFBMI-Talk] Happy Thanksgiving

Michael Powell mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 28 23:57:51 UTC 2019

Hello to all our federation family and list serve subscribers.

Let me take this opportunity to wish all of you and your family and friends
a most happy and blessed Thanksgiving.

I also want to thank all who participated in this year's state convention in
Grand Rapids.  Your participation and presence helped to make it the success
it most definitely was.

I welcome and congratulate our newly elected board members, Robert Parsons
from our Kalamazoo chapter andMichigan Association of Blind Students, and
Darryl Rice, from our Detroit chapter.     I congratulate Fred Wurtzel, from
our Capitol Region Chapter, and Jeff Crouch, from our Michigan Association
of Blind students,  for their re-election to our state board of directors.

I want to thank Marcus Simmons for his service in stepping in to fill the
one year remaining in Dianna Mohnkes term when she left her previously held
board position to assume the duties of state secretary last year.    I also
want to thank Derek Moore for his years of service on our state board  as he
was elected to our board when the Grand Rapids chapter was organized with
him as its president.

Both of these leaders, Marcus and Derek, still continue in their respective
roles with Marcus serving as president of the New Wayne County Chapter, and
Derek serving as the president of our West Southwest Chapter.

I am thankful and grateful for the support and help all of you have given me
as State president.  As we build the federation in Michigan we continue to
strengthen the spirit of the federation in each other so that we can do the
things that set us apart from other groups as we change the way we and
others see what blindness really is and how we can master the skills that
will raise our expectations and the expectations of others.   Only by
continuing to build the federation can blind people truly have our own
vehicle for collective action through which we can all work to live the life
we want    .

Michael Powell

President