[NFBMI-Talk] FW: sad news

Michael Powell mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 00:25:30 UTC 2019

Hello to all on this list serve.

I am sorry to have to report to you all that long time federation member Rex Burkhead died this past Saturday.

According to his daughter Norene Rex had been dealing with liver cancer.     She wanted me to know that in honor of Rex the family plans to attend our state convention in Grand Rapids this November.  I told Norene that I would pass on the information and that we will all keep Rex and the family in our thoughts and prayers.

I will always remember Rex as a committed fighter for the rights of blind people particularly when he felt they were being taken advantage of by agencies for the blind,  especially when it came to the state’s vending program.

I had a number of conversations with him in which he was more than happy to relate how he got something over on anyone who dared to get in his way when it came to blind people or anyone else he thought was being mistreated by either the blindness system or any other public or private entity.

Below is the link that Norene shared with me containing the obituary and funeral arrangements for Rex.  Thanks Paulette for forwarding this from your phone.

So rest in peace, dear brother Rex, you will not be forgotten.   Your determination and spirit of activism will continue to be reflected in all that we do in the NFB of Michigan.

Michael Powell

President