[NFBMI-Talk] Secure Your Spot: NABS Fantasy Football

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Sun Aug 30 12:27:17 UTC 2020

Good Morning Federation Family

We are five days from the deadline for our annual fantasy football registration period! There is so much enthusiasm amongst members and I am happy to inform you all that NABS has broken a record on external participants this year. We also have broken our personal records for the youngest and oldest participants to join the activities. For that reason, I write to appeal to the students and members that are still on the fence about joining in on the fun. As a person that has never played fantasy football  before, I too had my hesitations on taking part in this popular program. However, I promise you that learning how to connect to people by stepping outside of your comfort zone is such an important step in broadening your horizons and networking with people within your league. Every step of the way, we at NABS will be there to support you and make the experience memorable. The information about the initiative is below:
What is Fantasy Football?
Fantasy football is a game where participants (you) create fantasy NFL teams comprised of different players, positions,  and teams to  compete against each other throughout the regular season, using an online platform to track and calculate points. Once your teams are created, each week you compete against another team owner in your league. After a game, the points are totaled, and owners and their teams move up or down in the standings. At the end of the season, the owners/teams with enough points are qualified to compete in the playoffs and, eventually, the championship.

What’s the buy-in?
As the fundraising initiative has done in past years, there is a $25 buy-in value for each owner that wants to participate in the league. This amount must be provided to your league commissioner prior to your drafting of team players and the season kickoff or draft. With kickoff swiftly approaching, the deadline for a team owner to register for the fantasy football league with a commissioner  is Friday, September 4, 2020 at 12pm EST. This is a firm deadline to give commissioners and team owners time to get organized before the kick-off the following week.

What’s the payout?
If you are victorious in your respective league, your reward payout will be $100! That’s 100 reasons why you should support NABS by participating, supporting, or spreading the word of this exciting opportunity. It’s an excellent way to connect with your fellow students and many others in some friendly competition.

How do I sign up for a league?
In order to partake in this exciting opportunity, a potential team owner (you) must contact a league commissioner and express interest in registering as soon as possible. Keep in mind, there will be no  guarantee that you are a registered team owner until you send your $25 payment to your commissioner and the NABS treasurer verifies the payment. NABS can accept a variety of payment options, which can be accessed by contacting the commissioner you are registering with.

Who are Commissioners?
There are four  concurrent leagues running this year for the NABS Fantasy Football Initiative. To register as a team owner, we invite you to contact one of the commissioners as soon as possible to claim your spot. We have listed assigned regions for each league as a rule of thumb, but if you have preference for joining a different league, you are welcome to reach out to any of the following commissioners to sign up:

Cody Beardslee, Midwest Commissioner
codybeardslee at gmail.com<mailto:codybeardslee at gmail.com>

Logan Stenzel, Southern Commissioner
stenzellogan at gmail.com<mailto:stenzellogan at gmail.com>

Robert Parsons, Pacific Commissioner
Robert.E.Parsons at wmich.edu<mailto:Robert.E.Parsons at wmich.edu>

Gerald Meredith, Atlantic Commissioner
Geraldmeredith1 at outlook.com<mailto:Geraldmeredith1 at outlook.com>

Not Sold Yet?
As a bonus incentive, NABS has received a generous donation from Mt. Zion Church, located in Michigan, in the form of a $25 uber gift card. This prize will be awarded to the member that brings in the most external participants for this initiative. An external participant is defined as any team owner who is not an NFB member that successfully pays the buy-in amount and actively plays in the league. This can include your family, friends, coworkers, and associates. We look forward to having the most dynamic league yet.

Other Questions?
For more information about the NABS Fantasy Football Initiative and other fundraising questions, please contact Robert Parsons at Robert.E.Parsons at wmich.edu<mailto:Robert.E.Parsons at wmich.edu> or a commissioner listed above. We look forward to connecting with all of you and continuing to make this tradition a fun and productive one for our division.

Best Regards

Robert E. Parsons, Jr.
President| Kalamazoo Chapter
Vice President| Michigan Association of Blind Students
Board Member| National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Board Member| National Association of Blind Students
P: 804.801.7674