[NFBMI-Talk] MiABS Crab Climb: Meet Your Crabs and Bid!

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Wed Oct 14 16:37:31 UTC 2020

Hey There Friends!

I know that we have so many exciting promotional and fundraising opportunities during National Meet the Blind Month and convention season, so; the Michigan Association of Blind Students is coming at you with our MiABS Crab Climb Fundraising campaign. This program is a fundraising effort to garner funds for our student division college scholarship, named after our former affiliate president Larry Posont, which was created last year and has just been introduced into our state affiliate's scholarship program. Beginning tomorrow, October 15, 2020 and ending on Saturday, November 7 at 6pm, this program is open to all and we encourage students, mentors, professionals, friends, family, and others to support these Federation leaders in helping MiABS become effective in supporting blind students statewide. Here's the tea:

So, six crabs are clicking their pincers and walking sideways in their respective beaches, when a strong wind blows them into a bucket of low expectations. Now, these are no ordinary crabs, they are Federation crabs, so of course they are using their skills to climb out, but they don't have support. They then remembered that the Federation is strong in supporting one another and garnering support from external sources, so they decided to reach out to you directly for some financial support to elevate themselves. Please take some time to hear what each of them have to say and use the link below to bid on the crab that most spoke to you. After clicking the link, please fill out the form with the requested information and follow the directions for payment. Bear in mind, your donation to the fundraiser also gives you complimentary access to our MiABS Trivia Night, which will take place on Friday, November 6 at 8pm EDT. Though trivia is free to play, and our convention is free to attend, folks who support this fundraiser are put in the drawing for one of 16 door prizes that we will be giving out during the event. All prizes are valued more than the cost of a bid, so you would have huge chances of winning something valuable and the more times you bid, the more times your name is entered for a drawing. We look forward to working with you all and having fun during this fundraising expedition!

Form Link: https://forms.gle/nbk1mu1zXRBdoLiT9

Crab Bios

  1.  Confused Crab: Michael Powell (President, NFB of Michigan)
"Hello - This is Michael Powell otherwise known as confused crab. I don't know how I wound up in this bucket as I was just being silly and minding my own business.  Next thing I know here I am in this bucket away from all my silly friends.  I am confused.  I need to get out of this bucket so I can rejoin all my silly crab friends and we can go on spreading delight and merriment all over the world as we live the life we want."

  1.  The Amazing Blind Crab: Sabrina Simmons (Second Vice President, NFB of Michigan) (President, Detroit Metro Chapter)
Hey Family and friends -  I need your help! The amazing blind crab is in a Crab climbing  race to escape this bucket.  I use my pinchers to communicate and educate.   Although I may  have 10 eyes, I cannot see so I need your support. I would   love to get out of this bucket.  One crab at a time, so let me be the first out of the bucket.  Every $5 will get me one step closer out of the bucket.  I want to leave those other crabs dangling as I take leap and bounds to raise money for the student division of the NFB of Michigan. Can you    help the amazing blind chick to help the amazing blind crab get out of the bucket first?! Thank you for your support."

  1.  Chunky Crab: Robert Parsons (Board Member| NABS and National Federation of the Blind of Michigan)
"Hey people- We all know that I have no business in this bucket. Nothing about me is low: not my expectations, my sodium levels, my blood sugar, you all get the drift. It's the price of being the Chunky Crab. Why should you bid on me? For all the reasons that we love the Federation! We live the lives we want, and my life includes being on a beach and not becoming crab cakes. Chunky, delicious crab cakes with Old Bay and garlic butter... Yum, bid on #ChunkyCrab"

  1.  Capital Crab: Shawn Callaway (National Representative) (President| NFB of DC)
"Hey friends - It's me, the Capital Crab. Here I am, minding my own business and running from the Maryland Student Division  and Old Bay Seasoning, when the Gordon's Fisherman put me in a bucket of low expectations all the way in Michigan. As the most important crab in the country, I deserve to be out this bucket and at the Capital, passing legislation on crab independence and partnering with the Federation. Help me get the strength I need to live the life I want!"

  1.  NABS Crab: Mausam Mehta (Secretary| National Association of Blind Students)
"Hi friends, I am the NABS Crab! My greatest love in life is learning! I have a huge exam coming up, and I've tried to make the best of being stuck in this bucket by practicing my Ancient Greek on the other crabs, but I bet they are ready to throw me out! I would rather save them the trouble, but I need some fuel to climb out of here. Please consider supporting my way out of the bucket, so I can ace my exam and take a nap!"

  1.  Charismatic Crab: KaShonia Graham (Detroit Metro Chapter)
"Hello everyone... I would like you all, my family and friends, to help me as I support the student division of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan. I started as a member with the NFB about 2.5 years ago. I now sit on the board of the Detroit Metro chapter. When  I was first diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebry, I had and still have a great team of doctors that treat and monitor my condition. I also have the support of my family and friends. Now we have evolved, there are many things available that was not available back then. The Larry Posont scholarship is just one of many things that the student division is doing to support blind students on their path to greatness. Help me help them."