[NFBMI-Talk] congratulations Sabrina

mpowell7583 at yahoo.com mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 23:26:28 UTC 2021

The National Federation of the Blind of Michigan wishes to extend its
heart-felt congratulations to our 2ndVice-President, Sabrina Simmons.
Sabrina is one of this year's winners and recipients of the 2021 DR Jacob
Bolotin award which was presented at the 2021 virtual convention banquet of
the National Federation of the blind.  As the description of this award
states, it is presented to individuals who, "break down barriers facing
blind people in an innovative way,     change negative perceptions of
blindness and blind people,  push past existing boundaries to inspire blind
people to achieve new heights."  Sabrina received this award in recognition
for the EYE LEARN TECHNOLOGY SERVICES program that teaches braille, adaptive
technology and blindness skills to people who live in the greater Detroit
area.  We in the federation here in Michigan couldn't be more proud
especially when one of our own can achieve such recognition.  Many of us
remember that when we first met Sabrina she was new to blindness.  The only
experience she had was the time spent in the adjustment to blindness program
at the training center in Kalamazoo.     After attending Detroit chapter
meetings and learning about the federation Sabrina applied for a Jernigan
scholarship which opened the way for her to attend her first national
convention in 2015.  She has attended every convention since then and
regularly participates in our Washington Seminar.    Now here we are in 2021
to find that Sabrina has not only given back to the federation through her
work in our movement , but she is reaching out into the wider community to
empower others who are new to blindness so they can have a chance to live
the life they want as well.

As part of this award Sabrina will receive a trophy and $20000 that can be
put into her program so she can continue with this very important project
that can transform lives.  I have said it before and will say it again when
I must.  I have been blind all my life so I had the advantage of learning
and growing up in the blindness system.   When I came to know the organized
blind movement it changed my life.  Whenever I meet someone who has made
that transition from being fully sighted to living a full and active life as
a blind person ,who also came to know the organized blind movement, I am
inspired to dream bigger, work harder, and reach higher.  Congratulations
Sabrina!  We love you.

Michael Powell, President

(586)754-1325

Mpowell7583 at yahoo.com <mailto:Mpowell7583 at yahoo.com>