[NFBMI-Talk] What Do We Know About The Rights Of Blind Athletes?

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:03:50 UTC 2021

Greetings, all.

This past weekend, one of my members (who is legally blind and who
also lives with a form of cerebral palsy) told me that Special
Olympics discriminated against him when he tried to take part in a
bowling competition in Starke County, Indiana.
While others with profound developmental disabilities, etc., were
allowed to participate, he was told by those running the event at the
bowling alley that
they just did not have the staff or the physical resources ()e.g.,
guard rails) to accommodate a blind bowler at this competition. He did
not know those officiating at the competition would disallow him until
he
arrived at the venue, which required an hour or more of transportation
one-way by auto from our hometown. What recourse does my friend have?

Just to clarify, my chapter member is an adult, about 42 years of age.
He is an experienced para-athlete who has bowled in leagues
previously.  Although this individual is not a child, I imagine many
in this group have parented or otherwise served a blind teen or young
adult--maybe with multiple disabilities--who took part in paralympics
or Special Olympics competitions and therefore might be used to
overcoming barriers of this type. I know it is against the ADA and the
Rehabilitation Act to discriminate when someone is trying to obtain or
keep employment, or when the person is trying to gain access to
certain other public resources such as a self-checkout kiosk. But I've
never researched or run into a situation like this in a
volunteer-operated athletics competition designed with the disabled in
mind.

Being the president of a regional NFB chapter in the Midwest, I hear
some unexpected questions like this one from members.  Even though I
know far too few of the facts people ask me for by heart, I try very
hard to utilize my research skills and my natural curiosity to help
blind folks in my region to make the human connections and to acquire
the knowledge necessary for practicing agency over their lives.  Thank
you for any ideas you might provide which will help my friend and
colleague to have to endure less frustration while practicing more
effective self-advocacy. .

Kind regards,

Kane Brolin
President, Michiana Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Indiana
(574)386-8868 (mobile)