[NFBMI-Talk] Death Notice

mpowell7583 at yahoo.com mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 16:49:34 UTC 2022

Dear Federation family and others on this list.

I am very sorry to have to inform you of the death of our longtime past
State president, Allen Harris.  Some of you may know that a few weeks ago Al
fell down a set of stairs while visiting his family here in Michigan.  He
sustained a number of injuries and a collapsed lung.  He had been in
intensive care since the fall and developed pneumonia.  Steve Handschu
received a message from the family , and the Alabama affiliate also
announced that Al passed away some time last night.

Al was a very good friend to those of us who came to know the federation in
the 1970's, 80's and 90's.

I believe that it is no exaggeration to say that his work on many fronts
established the federation as a strong affiliate and influenced the quality
of programs and services to the blind of Michigan in terms of
rehabilitation, education, employment, legislation,  and  the basic quality
of life for Michigan's blind citizens.  Let us keep Al and his family in our
thoughts and prayers.

Rest in peace, dear brother.  We will continue to carry the federation
message and vision using the tools you gave us.    What you helped to
develop in us will sustain us and we will do our best to stay true to our
cause in your memory.

I will pass on more information as it becomes available.

Michael Powell

President