[NFBMI-Talk] NFBMI 2023 Committees

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Fri Dec 2 07:20:32 UTC 2022

Happy Friday Family!

Are you interested in learning how to build the Federation? Looking for a project to sink your teeth into? Our state affiliate committees are a great way for members from all over the state to collaborate on affiliate projects together. With your help, the NFBMI committees are the reason that our organization fundraises, creates programs and provides funding for so many members to participate in our activities. Check out our committees and their chairs below. If any interest you, reach out to a committee chair personally or look out for the announcements for their December committee meetings, which will be live next week:

2023 NFBMI Committees

  1.  Membership and Outreach: Chairs: Mike Powell and Sheila Fulmore
Help the Membership and Outreach committee in its objectives to establish new chapters and divisions, maintain affiliate compliance in our national membership database, and continue to spread the message of the Federation.

  1.  Fundraising: Chair: Mark Eagle
Support the affiliate fundraising committee in creating partnerships with potential donors and sponsors through marketing and brainstorming new programs that give us the tools we need to live the life we want.

  1.  Scholarship: Chairs: Sabrina Simmons and Patricia Pile
The NFBMI scholarship committee is committed to seeking out blind high school and college students that are eligible for one of three affiliate college scholarship awards at the 2023 NFBMI State Convention. This is a year-long committee.

  1.  Communications: Chairs: Rachel Newland and Athere Jammoa
If circulating important Federation information is your passion, join the NFBMI communications committee. Our focus is on managing content that is circulated through our different information networks: email lists, social media, and traditional media. We are currently looking to innovate our online presence and would love your help.

  1.  Youth and Family Programming: Chairs: Robert Parsons and Tara Morgan
Assist the Youth and Family Programming committee in creating exciting, informative programs for children, teens, families and parents that both entertains and empowers.

  1.  Legislative and Self-Advocacy: Chair: JJ Meddaugh
Support the legislative and self-advocacy committee as we continue our tradition of establishing and keeping connections with our state and local representatives to communicate our needs as blind constituents.

  1.  Leadership and Development: Chairs: Darryl Rice and Richard Clay
The leadership and development committee's purpose is to support local chapter and division members in their development as they encounter new challenges during their tenure as a leader of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan. Current board members or elected officers of local chapters and divisions are encouraged to join this committee for leadership development and philosophy refinement.

Again, announcements for the first committee meetings will come out from the individual chairs next week. If you have any questions about committees or what they do, reach out at (269) 216-8640 or President at nfbmi.org<mailto:President at nfbmi.org>.

With Love, Hope and Determination,

Robert E. Parsons, Jr., M.A., CRC, CVRT, LLPC
President| National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Doctoral Student| Counselor Education and Supervision
Western Michigan University '25
Pronouns: He, Him, His
P: (269) 216-8640