[NFBMI-Talk] FW: Obituary | Kenneth D. Kitchen | SWARTZ FUNERAL HOME

mpowell7583 at yahoo.com mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 20 22:18:02 UTC 2022

Dear federation family.

I am sorry to have to report that this past Tuesday, March 15, I learned that our brother in the NFB of Michigan,  Kenn Kitchen, husband of Georgia Kitchen,  died from cancer.  Ken was 88 years old.  Georgia had been updating me on his situation the past few weeks.  At the end of this message is the link to the obituary and the information about the funeral that will be held Thursday, March 24, at 11:30 AM which is a change from the time listed in the obituary.  The obituary says noon but Georgia called me to inform me that the time has been changed to allow for the honors ceremony for veterans that is to take place at the cemetery after the service.      The address is: SWARTZ FUNERAL HOME 1225 West Hill Rd Flint Michigan.  If you can’t activate the link through this message you can paste it into your browser, that’s how I got it to work for me.  Georgia requests that in lieu of flowers donations in memory of Ken should the made to the NFB of Michigan.  You can send them to our treasurer Mark Eagle at: 1417Corbett Street Lansing, MI 48910.  You can also donate to the NFB of Michigan through the nfbmi.org website.

Some have asked me concerning donations to help Georgia personally with any expenses she might have.  It is considered appropriate to give money directly to the family to help with any expenses  particularly if you honor their request by making a donation.

You can always include a check mailed with a sympathy card and a brief note stating your intention to help the family directly with your contribution during this difficult time.  A notation in the memo portion of a check can also indicate your intention and the contribution will be passed on to Georgia.  If you wish to send a card or check to Georgia directly email me off list and I can get her contact information to you in my reply.

My contact information will be listed at the end of this message.

Ken will be remembered for his participation in many NFB of Michigan activities and events.  He was there to help Georgia in her position as NFB NEWSLINE coordinator and he drove her all over Michigan where she promoted the NEWSLINE service to introduce blind people and others to the service.  One of my recent memories is when Ken helped me and Sabrina Simmons work the NFB table in Ann Arbor in 2019 while Georgia was at the University medical center.  She joined us later that day.

As an accomplished woodworker Ken donated many crafted works as door prizes and auction items for our convention.  He and Georgia were both interested in old time radio shows and went to conventions where they met other enthusiasts and personalities.  One year before an NFB state convention there was something on the Food Channel about Moxie Soda and the festival celebrating it in Maine.  It is a soda pop developed in the 1800’s that is described as having the flavor of root beer with an aftertaste that people either absolutely love or hate.  Since Georgia and Ken happened to be in Maine that week I asked them if they could bring me back some if they ran across it.  Well, Ken and Georgia found it and brought me back some.  Ken told me even the  party store owner was concerned why he was buying such a terrible soda pop and bringing it back to Michigan.    My search tells me that Coca-Cola still makes it.   That is the same year I won a chocolate-pecan  pie made by Melody Lindsey as a door prize.  So when I went home that year, between my Moxie and my pie, man,  I was really living.

Ken Kitchen will be greatly missed.   IN his memory,  our mission goes on.    So Georgia, we love you and we are here for you .  You and Ken are in our thoughts and prayers.

Michael Powell, President

(586)754-1325

Mpowell7583 at yahoo.com

https://www.swartzfuneralhomeinc.com/obituary/kenneth-kitchen