[NFBMI-Talk] NFB Michiana: A Blacksmithing Lesson, Anyone?

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:15:23 UTC 2022

Greetings.

Recently, I was introduced to a man named Henry Davis, who lives and
works in South Bend but who has done some specialized, unique teaching
 of metalcraft for people with disabilities.  He wants to demonstrate
how someone without eyesight--or even without the use of all of their
limbs--can do the work of a blacksmith to create decorative and
perhaps useful objects out of metal, using fire.  Yes, it sounds
dangerous; but Henry Davis claims that he and others who follow his
method have taught basic blacksmithing to 10,000 people with
disabilities, across multiple U.S. states.

I have no idea what to expect, but the offer is one I do not want to
turn down.  It will be best to do this as an outdoor event, of course,
during either a weekday evening (Monday through Thursday) or on a
Sunday afternoon.  I would like to try this on a small scale first,
with adult participants; then, if successful, I would open this up for
schoolchildren and others in the general public who would want to try
it or to observe/publicize it. As a devout Seventh-Day Adventist, Mr.
Davis has expressed to me that he prefers not to do this on a Friday
evening or a Saturday.

Please either reply to this message or reach me by phone at
(574)386-8868 if you wish to take part in a hands-on demonstration of
this kind.  I welcome suggestions for dates in
late May or June--prior to our National Convention in early July.

Thank you.

Cordially,

Kane Brolin
President, Michiana Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Indiana
(574)386-8868 (mobile)