[NFBMI-Talk] The Informant v8: "Just Where Have You Been"

rob.parso3389 at gmail.com rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:24:36 UTC 2023

Terrific Tuesday Federation Family,

What an eventful summer it has been. I have been excited about the updates
our members have provided in various activities and programs they've planned
or taken part in. As a way to make sure we are all on the same page, here's
this month's issue of "The Informant," our newsletter with some important
updates:

The Informant V8: "Just Where Have You Been?"

August 15, 2023

The NFB of Michigan has been active in various areas in the realm of
advocacy, fundraising, community engagement, and membership development. Our
state committees, which meet virtually monthly, encourage interested members
to join and contribute ideas to the important work they do. Some committee
updates this month include:

*	The Legislative and Advocacy Committee has been busy planning an
exciting opportunity for our members across the state to advocate for issues
of great importance to us. Our first Lansing Gathering, to be held Tuesday,
September 19, will be an opportunity for you and your fellow chapter or
division members to advocate for your elected officials in the state
capital. For more information about this opportunity or to join our
committee, contact JJ Meddaugh at vp at nfbmi.org <mailto:vp at nfbmi.org> .
*	 The communications committee held an energetic meeting on August 4
covering the process for registering for the local and statewide email list
serves. As a reminder, all chapters and division announcements are posted to
the NFBMI Talk list by their elected board or officer. For information about
our committee meetings or to join, contact Ather Jammoa at
Atherjammoa at yahoo.com <mailto:Atherjammoa at yahoo.com> .
*	The fundraising committee is excited to announce that our state
affiliate will be returning with its popular "White Cane Winners" virtual
auction. Hosted on the 32 Auctions online platform in celebration of Blind
Equality Achievement Month, our affiliate has already begun accepting
donations for potential auction items. If you have an item, you believe
would be helpful for building this Federation program or would like to join
the fundraising committee, please contact Mark Eagle, affiliate treasurer,
at treasurer at nfbmi.org <mailto:treasurer at nfbmi.org> .

Our local chapters and state divisions have actively been meeting and also
provide the following updates for members:

*	The At Large chapter has a reformed membership process to connect to
our state membership committee and portal. If you are a current member of
the At Large chapter or interested in becoming a member, please join us at
our next meeting on August 17 at 8pm via Zoom. to learn more about how to
update your membership status contact Robert Parsons at President at nfbmi.org
<mailto:President at nfbmi.org> .
*	The New Wayne County chapter will be holding a picnic in Westland on
September 2. For more information or to attend, please contact Donna Posont,
Vice President.
*	The Detroit chapter has been active in their advocacy efforts in the
ongoing paratransit negotiations and eventual decision on a contractor that
recognizes the rights and needs of blind people and others with
disabilities. Check out this article where Detroit chapter president,
Richard Clay, details his satisfaction with the efforts and success the
riders have experienced:
https://www.axios.com/local/detroit/2023/08/04/foia-friday-detroit-new-parat
ransit-system
*	The Flint Genessee chapter's advocacy efforts to provide
accessibility to Flint's downtown and cultural center has begun to manifest.
Our students and volunteers at the NFBMI REAL program had a small preview of
all Flint has to offer, but check out this article detailing the efforts of
the accessible street crossings installed and the thoughts from our
membership:
https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2023/08/new-audible-crosswalks-will-help-ma
ke-downtown-flint-a-safer-more-inclusive-place.html

I told you all we've been busy. I am so proud and excited at how active our
members have been. This is only a brief description of all we've been up to.
Want more about the Michigan affiliate? I hope so because you are all
cordially invited to join us for the quarterly meeting of the board of
directors of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan, held via
Zoom, on August 21 at 6:30pm. This meeting is open to all members of the NFB
of Michigan and will provide important updates for members of our affiliate
about:

*	2023 National Convention
*	2023 State Convention
*	Blind Equality Achievement Month
*	Our advocacy Efforts with BSBP

I look forward to speaking with you all on Monday. For questions, feel free
to contact me at President at nfbmi.org <mailto:President at nfbmi.org> .

Respectfully,

Robert Parsons, Jr., M. A., CRC, CVRT, LLPC

President, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan

(269) 216- 8640

www.nfbmi.org <http://www.nfbmi.org>

"Without struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglas