[NFBMI-Talk] Shout-Out To NFB Members Everywhere: Who Still Uses Learning Ally For DAISY Audio Book Downloads?

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Wed Jul 26 20:29:32 UTC 2023

Good Afternoon Kane,

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I have been following it on the NABS list as well. I find the information about Learning Ally very disturbing. As a rehabilitation counselor, I often used Learning Ally for textbooks in community college and it was effective for many of the humanities courses. Truthfully, I thought that the service did a better job with foreign language than Book Share and other sources for students (I was a French minor in undergraduate studies). I am also not surprised that this is happening given Learning Ally's move towards servicing people with other disabilities outside of blindness. What I have observed, however, is that many younger students often are apathetic to changes like this because they will gravitate towards options they feel will be fit for them. State agencies have been very supportive of authorizing the Learning Ally service in the past for educational purposes, but it is also the policy of many state agencies to support students to search out the cheapest options for texts first before pursuing a Learning Ally subscription. I've also worked in states where students are never informed of Learning Ally due to this policy and precedent existing. This, married with the absence of knowledge from the student on a larger scale, could be a reason that the access key may have stopped being made available. I would fully support the service coming back to the VR Stream and other related players, however. Thanks for posting and bringing this to our members' attention.

Regards,

Robert E. Parsons, Jr., M.A., CRC, CVRT, LLPC
President| National Federation of the Blind of Michigan