[NFBMI-Talk] Access Celebration: Western Michigan University Steps Forward

Love, Pat (MDE-Contractor) lovep at michigan.gov
Thu Sep 28 16:36:47 UTC 2023

That's awesome! Great work!

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMI-Talk <nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Robert Parsons via NFBMI-Talk
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2023 7:29 PM
To: 'NFB of Michigan Internet Mailing List' <nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Subject: [NFBMI-Talk] Access Celebration: Western Michigan University Steps Forward

CAUTION: This is an External email. Please send suspicious emails to abuse at michigan.gov

Good Evening Federation Family!

I write this email with excitement and a sense of pride. Many of our members can recall the dedicated efforts of the Michigan Association of Blind Students, a proud division of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan, and the Kalamazoo chapter during the pandemic to bring about increased accessibility to facets of Western Michigan University that students were not able to fully participate in. Some of this included:

*       Online Learning Platforms
*       Library Databases
*       Virtual Texts and Journal Articles
*       Virtual Statistical Platforms

The advocacy that the Kalamazoo chapter members and student division demonstrated at the time and throughout the pandemic was not in vain. Their efforts; including writing letters to the university provost and DEI office, increasing awareness to faculty and staff, and working with our affiliate to produce an official resolution informing the university of its shortcomings in meeting minimum expectations of access; had lasting effects that ushered in change for current and former students of Western Michigan University.

Beginning Monday, September 26, 2023, Western Michigan University has officially become an Aira Access Partner. As an access partner, the campus and all properties of WMU has been officially geofenced, providing blind students, visitors and community members access to the service. This service covers all WMU campus facilities on the main, east and downtown Grand Rapids campus; as well as:

*       WMU Football Stadium
*       WMU Ice Plex
*       WMU New Student Center
*       WMU Downtown Kalamazoo Surplus Store

Western Michigan University is the first and currently the only college or university in the state that is an Aira Access Partner. Current blind students at Western Michigan University are also eligible to receive an Aira Explorer Account as a reasonable accommodation. This accommodation is intended for students that are not on campus and are registered for courses online using eLearning and other virtual platforms. Blind students enrolled at WMU can reach out to the Disability Student Services (DSS) office to inquire about receiving an Explorer account.

This change would not be done without acknowledging the efforts of the members of our affiliate, both present and former, that put so much work into the previously mentioned advocacy actions. Members of our affiliate that have graduated from WMU, like Rachel Pavone, Taylor Arndt, Monae Payne, Osman Koroma and Lisa Irving are wonderful examples of how our movement lays the groundwork for the next generation of blind students and blind people to thrive. Finally, we must thank Victor Marques, the At Large chapter Secretary, for his continued advocacy in Kalamazoo, even after graduation.
His work with blind students in preparing them for college through training means so much more knowing that it is accompanied with the ability to advocate for access. Your efforts are all appreciated and congratulations to everyone involved in the movement to raise expectations of blind people as we turn dreams into reality.

With Love, Hope and Determination,

Robert Parsons, Jr., M. A., CRC, CVRT, LLPC

President, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan

(269)216-8640

http://www.nfbmi.org/