[NFBMI-Talk] Free Training To Help Blind Users Change From Gmail's Basic HTML To Its Standard Interface

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 00:18:21 UTC 2024

I am sending this out to quite a few within the Indiana and Michigan
affiliates in the National Federation of the Blind .  It does not
concern Federation work as such, but it does concern our access to
Gmail: something quite a few in this list use every day.

If you are anything like I am, you were quite concerned to find out
that Gmail plans to discontinue the availability of the "basic HTML"
format of Gmail as it may be used on the WorldWide Web.  They have
announced Basic HTML is to go away sometime in February.
 I have used Basic HTML for more than 16 years now, and I feel this
tool has helped me immensely to keep track of long message threads and
to find archived messages from the distant past that are helpful in
framing how I communicate on a topic now.  And I always have felt that
Gmail's "Standard" look was pretty inaccessible.

But according to Freedom Scientific/Vispero, this is not so.  In early
January of this year, they posted a 2-part audio/video training with
detailed advice about how those of us who are "old dogs" can in fact
learn a new trick.  Watch "Ten Tips for Transitioning from Basic HTML
View to Standard View in Gmail with JAWS, Parts 1 and 2."  Find this
training at https://www.freedomscientific.com/webinars/transitioning-from-basic-html-view-to-standard-view-in-gmail-with-jaws/.

Thanks to Abraham Sweiss for reminding us of this training on the main
the jfw.groups.io mailing list.

Have a great weekend.

Cordially,

Kane Brolin