[Nfbmo] Lovely Christmas Letter from our Friend Helen Parker

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 18 02:37:59 UTC 2009

The following letter is one I thought you might be interested in seeing. Some of you may have gotten a print copy yourselves. It is from Helen Parker, the president of our south-central Chapter who is nearing ninety years of age. Enjoy!

Helen's house

It's Christmas!

A Merry Christmas to all,

The spirit of Christmas, "Love, Peace, and Joy," an ongoing virtue practiced throughout the year. A brilliant star shedding light on the world, proclaiming the birth of the tiny King. His light has been shining for 2000 years, and will shine for evermore. That's why we celebrate Christmas. This year has been a good year, being blessed and seeing all my children, which rarely occurs. In September, I became the great grandmother to twin boys, born to Zack and Nikki, living in Washington state. I have five great-grandchildren and one on the way.

Thanks to John and Celia, for hosting a Parker reunion at their home in Dallas, Texas. Close to fifty attended and for a few days we lived it big Texas style. Lots of fun, laughter, and good food. I hitched a ride with Sam, Rubiela, and Abby, an added plus to the affair.

The following month, in July, Cecilia accompanied me to the National Convention of the National Federation of the Blind, Held in Detroit, Michigan. Six days of both serious and fun times, which added up to awesome. 2809 of us, hundreds of white canes, and many of those wonderful seeing eye dogs. Quite electrifying and alive. We were on the 46th floor of the hotel which was located on the Detroit River. A large window in our room gave a beautiful view of the river with steamboats and a lighthouse. Across the river is Canada. One afternoon, Steve, Eric, and grandson Tyler paid us a visit. Definitely an added treat.

My children seem to be doing well. Drew and Katie from Washington were at the reunion. I spent Thanksgiving in Don and Becky's house with Katie and her little boy, Gavin. Mike and Janet, living in St. Louis, occasionally and take me out to dinner. I spent a few days with Sam and Rubiela. in their new home in Columbia, Missouri. Sons, Stephen Eric, in Michigan, don't get home very often, thank goodness for the telephone. Also, great for keeping in touch with my relatives I love so much.

I keep very busy, swimming twice a week, still president of the local NFB chapter, play the violin at St. Parrick church October Fest, and four other violin appearances. Two talks on blindness at a local college. I am so thankful that God continues to bless me with good health, good friends, a wonderful family, and for the birth of his Son, giving us the spirit of Christmas.

I love you all, God bless, always,

Helen, OBW