[Nfbmo] Zumo Drive

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 7 20:26:49 UTC 2009

Good afternoon everyone,

    Some of you on certain lists probably heard me saying, "I'm putting my
files in the clouds." I'm doing this via a neat service I heard about on a
Web 2.0 Podcast. The service is called "Zumo Drive." It's a hybrid cloud
storage application that permits you to store files remotely so they'll be
available from any computer you use. Unlike other types of remote storage
solutions Zumo Drive integrates with your PC and is accessed via My
Computer. Those of you that use external drives know that it appears as an
additional drive whenever you enter My Computer or Windows Explorer.

    Think of Zumo drive as an auxiliary drive without the physical hardware.
Instead of your files being stored on a physical drive they're stored on a
secure remote server which can be accessed from multiple computers and
mobile phones. This is achieved by downloading and installing the Zumo Drive
Application which you can obtain from their Web Site. Both the Zumo Drive
Web Site and the application are accessible and very easy to use;
particularly because it appears as an additional drive on your computer. I
believe this is what's commonly called a virtual drive. The only
accessibility glitch I encountered was when I needed to register my copy
with their service. Using your screen reader's mouse cursor should allow you
to complete the registration on your own once the "Registration" Icon is
activated.

    Once installed and your account is created Zumo Drive works exactly like
any other drive on your PC. It's possible to store files locally on your
computer, or save them on your Zumo Drive from within any application;
although larger files may take longer to save due to their having to be
transferred to the remote server. It's also possible to save a file obtained
from another Internet location directly to your Zumo Drive. I did this this
morning and think it's pretty cool.

    Depending on their type the files saved remotely will be downloaded and
open in the application or in the case of audio and video content will
stream to your PC. For example I was able to listen to a podcast on Virtual
Colonoscopy on Mary's computer though the file does not reside on her
machine. It was a simple matter of opening up  QuickTime, and typing
Z:\path\filename. The file opened and the documentary began playing exactly
as it would if stored on the local machine.

    Upon creating your Zumo Drive Account you receive 1 GB of storage space
to allow you to try the system out. There are several subscription plans you
can purchass depending on the amount of remote storage you require. But
enough from me. For additional information visit:
http://www.zumodrive.com

    Since file storage is always an important concern I wanted to share this
information with everyone. All the best for a great weekend.

Peter Donahue

 "Given a chance to dream it can be done.
The promise of tomorrow is real.
Children of Spaceship Earth the future belongs to us all."
Flying for Me,
John Denver