[Nfbmo] A celebrity in Our Midst

Matt Sievert msievert at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 9 02:04:40 UTC 2009

Oh, I lived in Yukon, Oklahoma from 1977-1980. (Seven till ten)  Dad worked in El Reno.

I wonder if Yukon is now a "suburb of Oklahoma City?

There was of course not much there for disabled instruction back then.

It was when we moved to Saranac Lake, NY is when I really started to discover about Visual impairment aids and mobility teachers.

New York really rocked back then for the disabled folks. First Mobility training, first BIT talkman, oh and my FIRST exposure to the Kurzweil reading machine.

We left in 1985 for Phoenix,az for a year, then in 1986 moved to Springfield, Missouri

Dad worked for the federal prison system, and if wanted promoted he usually relocated.