[Nfbmo] Update on My Dad's Cancer Situation

Mary Donahue braille at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 21 22:46:45 UTC 2009

Good afternoon everyone,

    Some of you know about my dad's cancer, but, for those on the NFB of
Missouri list, I am going to summarize anyway. Since before Christmas last
year, my dad had suffered with cancer in one of the lymph nodes, which
spread from the original bladder cancer he acquired in August, 2008. When my
parents went back to Wisconsin from Arizona last April, Dad had a check-up,
and was given at least a year. He underwent chemotherapy until the end of
August. After my parents returned to Arizona in October,and after another
doctor's visit the day before Halloween, they found out the cancer had
spread to the hip bone and to the liver. Now, Dad is given six months or
less to live. He can get around using a walker and a cane, and it's been an
effort for him to talk. Since Last Wednesday, he has been under hospice
care.

    My parents are flying back to Wisconsin on Friday morning. The closest
big airport to Hayward, Wisconsin, where their summer home is is
Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, which means that there is a
three-hour flight to Minneapolis, and then another two-and-a-half-hour ride
to Hayward. As it stands right now, all of my side of the family will be
together, so it will be a bittersweet Christmas for me.

   So far, Dad is holding his own, but I will try to talk to him tomorrow.
Please continue to pray for him, and any words of encouragement will be
appreciated.

    Thank you in advance.

Mary Donahue

"Be Well, Do good Work, and keep in touch."
Garrison Keillor