[Nfbmo] FW: National Federation of the Blind Commends Senate for Passage of Safety Legislation

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 15:28:00 UTC 2010

 Folks, here is a follow-up to my message asking that we work for passage in
the House. We are close, but without House action, this is dead.

Gary

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Commends
 Senate for Passage of Safety Legislation

Urges Swift Passage by House of Representatives

Washington, D.C. (December 10, 2010): The National Federation of the Blind
today commended the United States Senate for passing the Pedestrian Safety
Enhancement Act (S. 841), which will protect the blind and other pedestrians
from injury as a result of silent vehicle technology.

Because blind pedestrians cannot locate and evaluate traffic using their
vision, they must listen to traffic to discern its speed, direction, and
other attributes in order to travel safely and independently.  Other people,
including pedestrians who are not blind, bicyclists, runners, and small
children, also benefit from hearing the sound of vehicle engines.  New
vehicles that employ hybrid or electric engine technology can be silent,
rendering them extremely dangerous in situations where vehicles and
pedestrians come into proximity with each other.

"The National Federation of the Blind commends the United States Senate for
the wise and decisive action taken today to preserve the right to safe and
independent travel for the blind," said Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the
National Federation of the Blind.  "The blind, like all pedestrians, must be
able to travel to work, to school, to church, and to other places in our
communities, and we must be able to hear vehicles in order to do so.  This
bill, which is the result of collaboration among blind Americans, automobile
manufacturers, and legislators, will benefit all pedestrians for generations
to come as new vehicle technologies become more prevalent.  We now call upon
the House of Representatives to pass this legislation as quickly as possible
so that it can be sent to the President's desk for his signature before the
close of the year."

"I'm a major advocate of hybrids-I own one, I drive one, and I've seen
firsthand their environmental and economic benefits," said Senator John
Kerry, the sponsor of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act.  "This
legislation will allow us to continue to promote our energy independence and
technological innovation while safeguarding those who use senses other than
sight to navigate the roads."

"The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers is proud of this legislation,
which is the result of our cooperative relationship with advocates for blind
pedestrians," said Dave McCurdy, President and CEO of the Alliance of
Automobile Manufacturers.  "We believe that this legislation represents a
common-sense approach to ensure that the blind and other pedestrians remain
safe as new vehicle technologies emerge."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.  Please
visit our Web site:  <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org.