[Nfbmo] I-Phone could take the win out of KNFB Reader.

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 18:21:10 UTC 2010

This does not take into account the costs of the development of the
hardware/software that made the reader
possible.  Remember the first KNFB reader?  A palm Pilot combined  with an
SLR camera?  It was bulky but
it worked.  Now it's software embedded in a phone.  But it took a  lot of
time and money to get there and
that money has to be recouped - like any product.  There was  nothing
comparable to it.
    I'm sure the Apple application will be cool, but will  the producers of
the app provide support for it?  Upgrades and fixes?   There are further
plans for the NFB Reader that may be more blind-friendly  than those of
the i-Phone apps.  Given that there are a lot of people around the  world
working on text-to-speech and OCR
applications, some within the open source world, there is a lot of
cross-fertilization going on -  including
people who have looked at the work Kurzweil has done with the K1000
software and Arkenstone and starting
from there.   Also, as with any new application, there are a lot  of quirks
and issues that need to be worked
out with the product use.   Can the new app handle all fonts and  manage
graphics and the structure of the
page?  That's a problem even K1000 and Arkenstone have issues  with.
    At PowerUP, I learned that a lot of single-use adaptive  devices can be
easily adapted for use in an
i_phone or for that matter, and i-Pod Touch, that cost degrees of magnitude
 less than the stand-alone device.   Interestingly, the agencies that  fund
these devices for schools and personal use won't buy an
iPod or iPhone, opting instead for the more costly single-use offering,
because the iPhone, like computers
in it's first appearance, could be used for games and  entertainment.
     In essence, we are seeing the web offering a more  dynamic, less
gradual business plan than the trad-
itional one of agencies paying for adaptive technology.  It's  happening
all across the business spectrum and
who knows where it will go?  There is no need to ascribe negative  motives
to those who developed a tech-
nology under an older business plan.
   And by the way, there is no reason why this application can't  be used
with an iPod - why would you
need to connect to a phone data plan when the iPod Touch has wireless
capability?  There already is a great
text-to-speech application for the Touch that I hear works great.  In
essence, the applications discussed
here are stand-alone and have no need of being in a cellphone  network.
Cool stuff!
Dan

In a message dated 6/29/2010 12:22:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,