[Nfbmo] I-Phone could take the win out of KNFB Reader.

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 29 19:42:18 UTC 2010

Hello Fred. Some of what you write below is exactly what you wrote to me in
a letter earlier this year, unless you believe that I have lied to you about
what I said, I'm surprised that you continue to say it. I told you, and will
state for the record, that at this point the national Federation of the
blind has yet to recoup any of its investment In the KNFB Reader, That KNFB
Reading Technologies is not yet making a profit, and that certainly it, as a
for-profit corporation, has every right to do so. Why then do you tell me
that it is wrong for an organization of or for the blind to be involved in
the development or the sale of a product such as this? Either you have
evidence of which I am unaware about the finances of the NFB or KNFB Reading
Technologies, you did not read the letter in which I talked with you about
the KNFB Reader project, or you simply like what some engineer told you a
long time ago and so you repeat it and try to make it apply to this
situation.

If somehow the mainstream market comes to embrace technology which is usable
both by the blind and sighted, they will beat hands down any blindness
company which tries to compete with them because they will have the numbers.
As long as they truly meet our needs, then we who are blind are the
beneficiaries. Until they do, we're going to have to live with the fact that
it costs a lot more money to develop a product that will be used by
thousands than it does a product used by millions. It is incredible to me
that the NFB can in any way be disparaged for planting the seed, sprinkling
it with money, and developing a product which works in the here and now. If
at some point we start to put down Apple or any other company because they
have a competing product, then take us to task, but stop pretending we're
making a killing at the hands of our fellow blind consumers.

Gary