[Nfbmo] Fw: [Jobs] NLCSD -

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 05:27:14 UTC 2010

The web address for the program in the original email throws an error,  but
by a little sleuthing I found the
following page which does work:

_http://www.salus.edu/nlcsd/index.html_
(http://www.salus.edu/nlcsd/index.html)

    In looking over the consortium members, I noticed that  Washington
University in St. Louis is listed,
as is Northern Illinois University and Illinois State University.   Others
are Vanderbilt in Tennessee, University
of Minnesota, among others.   I'm going to look into the  Washington
University program - simply because in
my 30 year career witht them, I had never found such a curriculum, despite
inquiries, in
any disability coursework, let alone a degree.
    I'm not entirely sure I want to devote 4 years to a PhD  program, let
alone, at my age,  being eligible for
one, but I'll do a little legwork and let y'all know what I find.

     All tuition paid PhD scholarship w/ $20K living  stipend sounds too
good to be true, so I thought I'd check
it out.

     In checking the email address provided - _clarkw at wustl.edu_
(mailto:clarkw at wustl.edu) , I found that it belongs  to
a Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology, which means that  his
involvement in the program relates
not to visual deficits but rather to hearing deficits.   Washington U does
have a very large ophthalmology and retinal department which could possibly
 be involved with Dr. Clark
as a contact person for this national consortium.  By chance, I have  an
appt with the director of the electro-
ophthalmology specialty at WU next week - I'll try to find out more.
    It does look like this  may be a very good  opportunity for those who
would be interested in pursuing an
advanced degree in these fields.  Given the contact in this source, I
assume it would be heavy in science and
math.

Dan

In a message dated 3/3/2010 10:33:35 P.M. Central Standard Time,